From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Thursday night of every week.]
Algeria, Mali: another front in the “Global War on Terror”? Hamza Hamouchene analyzes the French intervention in Mali as a lens through which to critically examine the War on Terror.
What lies beneath: the stifling of regime resistance in Algeria and its consequences Zena Kalli describes pitalls of authoritarian stability in Algeria.
The President, The Establishment: The Only Winners Algeria Solidarity Campaign reports on confusion leading up to the Algerian presidential election.
Mali: il était une fois l’Algerian bashing. Baki 7our Mansour highlights New York Times’ articles which place unfair blame on Algeria for jihadist terrorist acts.
Libya: Slow Pace of Reforms Harms Rights Human Rights Watch reports on the need to establish stronger rule of law in Libya.
How international media get Libya wrong Nigel Ash reflects on the problems with hasty media reports focusing on a "volatile" Libyan situation
Opinion: Libya’s 2013 General Budget and Future Challenges Khaled Ali Elmariami raises concerns about the state of Libya’s proposed budget for 2013.
Libya vows to improve security Essam Mohamed investigates Libya’s security commitments.
محكمة الجنايات الدولة تطالب ليبيا بتسليم السنوسي The Hague demands that Libya turnover Abdullah Sanusi, intelligence chief under Gaddafi.
Mauritania press freedom tops Arab world Reporters without Borders gives Mauritania highest rating for freedom of the press in the region.
موريتانيا والجزائر تدعمان عملية فرنسية لتصفية ” أمراء الجهاد” Mauritania and Algeria cooperate to France in operatives to destroy jihadist strongholds.
Opposition mauritanienne: Nana Mint Cheikhna une femme en première ligne Jeune Afrique highlights the work of Nana Mint Cheikhna, leader in Mauritania’s opposition party, Rassemblement des Forces Démocratiques (RFD.)
“Morocco military trial of Sahrawi civilians flawed from the outset” says Amnesty International Amnesty International criticizes Morocco for disregard of human rights in trial of Gdeim Izik political prisoners.
“Signing of new EU- Morocco Fisheries agreement that includes occupied Western Sahara will be flagrant violation of international law” says Khaddad MINURSO Coordinator and Polisario Secretary General Mhamed Khadded highlights breaking of international law in Spain-Morocco fishing deal with bearing on Western Saharan waters.
Women in Morocco: political and religious power Meriem El Haitami describes the lackluster performance of the Moroccan government on women’s rights.
Assassinat de Chokri Belaid : Les photos d’une journée de deuil, qui a mal tourné Photos from a day of mourning in Tunisia after the assassination of opposition leader Chokri Belaid.
La violence politique dans la Tunisie postrévolutionnaire : Vers où ? After the assassination of Chokri Belaid, Mohamed Arbi Nsiri asks what this political violence signals for the future of Tunisia.
Tunisie : Situation toujours tendue au lendemain de l’assassinat de Chokri Belaid Sena Sebouai describes the tense situation in Tunisia after Belaid’s assassination
Chokri Belaid slaying spurs Tunisia government change Mona Ghanmi outlines the Tunisian government’s response to Belaid’s assassination.
Tunisia: Murder Most Foul Yasmine Ryan’s Al Jazeera report exposes Belaid’s murder as part of a trend of political violence.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة
- Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 28)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 21-27)
- Reporter Jon Snow on Gaza's Children: Misery and Responsibility
- The Informants: Manufacturing Terror
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 26)
- عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة http://t.co/nwKVMCzShL
yesterday at 2:45 PM
The Informants: Manufacturing Terror http://t.co/MJSVACBKid
yesterday at 11:15 AM
Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive http://t.co/6lbv9eqcLo
yesterday at 10:18 AM
CFP: Medinas in the 20th & 21th Centuries (Algiers, February 2015) http://t.co/ps2PeNA2UL
yesterday at 9:42 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (July 28) http://t.co/Y5XvDwhouY
yesterday at 9:13 AM