From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition on 5 February 2013.]
To the children of our heroic Palestinian people,
To those who safeguard the unity of our people, our representation, and our cause,
As the Palestinian people await the meeting of various sectors of Palestinian leadership on the eighth of February in Cairo, and as we anticipate further development of steps towards turning the page on painful Palestinian divisions, the Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition welcomes these meetings and initiatives and hopes that they will preserve the political and geographic unity of our people. We hope these steps will empower Palestinians with the political and national will to overcome all obstacles and elevate our national work so that it may be deserving of the sacrifices and struggle of our great people.
However, while discussion of reconciliation and unity is important, we believe that the most critical issue is the re-activation and revitalization of the Palestinian Liberation Organization, and the need to hold direct elections to the Palestinian National Council where all eligible Palestinians, inside and outside the homeland, can vote.
We therefore emphasize the following points concerning elections to the Palestinian National Council:
- We assert the necessity of holding elections to the Palestinian National Council, and the participation of all Palestinians in the revitalization of the Palestine Liberation Organization as the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people;
- We demand the Palestinian Legislative Council remain a part of the Palestinian National Council, in order to preserve the unity of the Palestinian people;
- We call on the participation of all Palestinian national forces, civic associations, and communities in the ongoing discussion to develop an electoral law commensurate with the conditions and aspirations of our people;
- We must ensure that all Palestinians, wherever they are, have the right to vote, without exception and without the exclusion of any Palestinian communities (i.e. every Palestinian over the age of eighteen will have the right to vote);
- Decisions issued with regard to elections to the PNC have enormous political implications and significant impact on the fundamental rights of Palestinians. Therefore, we must make decisions based upon sound procedures and a clear understanding of the issues at stake, and take into account the advice of experts and voters and communities themselves;
- Selection of appropriate sites for the registration and elections process must take into account the right of all Palestinians to participate safely.
Yes to National Unity
No to the surrender of the Right of Return
Global Right to Return Coalition
PLO Executive Office for Refugees – West Bank
Committee for the Defence of Rights of Palestinian Refugees/Yafa Cultural Center
Union of Youth Activity Centers – West Bank Refugee Camps
Union of Youth Activity Centers – Gaza Refugee Camps
Union of Women’s Activity Centers – West Bank Refugee Camps
Consortium of the Displaced Inhabitants of Destroyed Palestinian Villages and Towns
Higher National Committee for the Defence of the Right of Return – Palestine
National Committee for the Commemoration of the Nakba – Palestine
Association for the Defense of the Rights of the Internally Displaced (ADRID), Nazareth
Palestine Remembered - Jordan
General Union of Jordanian Women
‘A’idun Group – Syria
‘A’idun Group – Lebanon
Beit Atfal Al-Sumoud – Lebanon
Group 194 – Syria
Right of Return Committee – Athens, Greece
Association Najdeh – Lebanon
Right of Return Committee – Sweden
European Federation of Right of Return Committees
Palestinian Return Network – Netherlands
Coordination Bureau – Lebanon
Rua’a Association for Culture and the Arts – Lebanon
Popular Association for Relief and Development - Lebanon
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Why would Primo Levi condemn the execution and demand a trial for terrorists and tyrants? We need look no farther than the profoundly elemental title of his Auschwitz memoir If This Is A Man.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- An Excerpt from Sinan Antoon's "Ave Maria"
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
- The Wonder Box
- Scholars Pledge to Boycott UIUC Over the Firing of Steven Salaita
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
BBC News - Gaza crisis: Israel kills three top Hamas commanders http://t.co/yO9tW6AABS
23 hours ago
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
yesterday at 10:45 AM
@sakkeh3arja Not at all. Yourself and Pulse, as well as others, will be invited to join an e-roundtable to address this properly.
yesterday at 10:43 AM
@sakkeh3arja just saw this comment. shows you're really angry, and incorrect in this assumption/tweet.
yesterday at 10:33 AM
@sakkeh3arja no denials. it's for all to see, and follow. despite ur accusations and insults, we engaged. must sign off for real now.
yesterday at 10:32 AM