From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday night of every week.]
How to be different together: Algerian lessons for the Tunisian crisis Hicham Yezza draws parallels between Algeria in 1992 and Tunisia in 2013.
Algeria's oil and gas: not so jolly The Economist takes a look at the Algerian economy.
In Amenas attack magnifies Belmokhtar, AQIM rift Jemal Oumar examines implications of the In Amenas incident as evidence of fracture between jihadist leaders in Sahara.
Libya: Focus on Justice System in Paris Meeting Human Rights Watch urges Libya to focus on building a strong justice system during meeting in Paris.
Bringing Libya’s past into the twenty-first century Tom Wescott reports on workshops focused on Libyan archaeological technology and preservation of artifcats.
Analysis: Libya Security Situation Improving Despite Negative Media Reporting The Tripoli Post claims that Libyan government “working hard” to address security measures despite press that suggests otherwise.
ولد الشافعي : نص المقابلة Media site Essirage interviews Mustapha Born Imam Shafei, a Mauritanian businessman with intimate knowledge of General Abdel Aziz.
قضية بوعماتو: أسئلة معلقة؟! Ahmed Ben Mohamed Mustapha implicates General Abdel Aziz in tax evasion scandal.
Number of Malian refugees reach 70,000 Between 500 and 600 Malian refugees enter Mauritania every day.
Tullow chasing new play offshore Mauritania Offshore magazine describes oil and gas company Tullow’s plan to expand offshore drilling in Mauritania.
Jaabouq de Hicham Tahir: Un livre surestimé ? Reda Zaireg reviews Zaabouq, by Moroccan author Hicham Tahir
المـغرب: حرب أهلـية في المــدرسة؟Mohamed Benaziz describes the strange case of a village schoolteacher stabbed and then sentenced to three months in prison.bh n hn
تلاميذ الأقسام التحضيرية بسطات في اضراب مفتوح عن الدراسة (Videos) Videos compilation of Moroccan students striking in demand for greater attention to nutritional needs.
Air France sued after pilot ‘insults’ king of Morocco An Air France pilot is sued after passengers take offense to a joke he made about King Mohamed VI.
Il y a 50 ans mourait Abdelkrim El Khattabi, le Che maghrébin Hamadi Aouina compares Moroccan revolutionary leader Abdelkrim El Khattabi to Che Guevara.
[Traduction FR] Tunisie : Loi constitutionnelle n°6-2011 du 16 décembre 2011 (petite Constitution) Riadh Guerfali examines discrepencies between the French and Arabic versions of the Tunisian constitution.
Sheratongate The Economist’s M.R. highlights accusations that Tunisia’s minister of affairs Rafik Abdessalam abused public funds.
Tunisie : violences et défi salafiste International Crisis Group underscores danger of militant Salafist groups in Tunisia during period of political turmoil.
Où vont les valeurs dans la Tunisie postrévolutionnaire ? Mohamed Arbi Nsiri laments direction - or lack thereof – of Tunisian postrevolutionary political scene.
Western Sahara – latest confidence-building meeting concludes in Portugal UNHCR reports on latest meeting of interests in Western Sahara conflict.
“Signing of new EU- Morocco Fisheries agreement that includes occupied Western Sahara will be flagrant violation of international law” says Khaddad Fishing agreements include controversial waters off Western Saharan shore.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"The Turkish state has opted for erecting more barriers in the way of democratic participation and just representation, by subtly institutionalizing Turkey’s cultural inequalities... [and] declared once again that the real owners of this state are Muslim Turks"click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video) http://t.co/WsmfqJcSKm
12 hours ago
No Ceasefire without Justice for Gaza http://t.co/ivVPmrYo29
13 hours ago
[now, even the BBC!] When BBC Calls, Don't Answer: http://t.co/XGcT0Sv5l6 via @rfalk13
14 hours ago
Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children? http://t.co/tSr67a2qPx
16 hours ago
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour http://t.co/pKPwko1thr
17 hours ago
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children?
- Press Release: From Tel Aviv to Toronto, Los Angeles to London, Chicago to San Francisco, Jews Say No to Israeli Genocide
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات