From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
On that day, 14 February 2011, there was a sense that things would change. The energy of the crowd was electric and contagious. The frustration that had built up for years unfolded in the form of peaceful protests in Pearl Square—the revolutionary space that had housed hundreds of thousands of Bahrainis for months, and had been subsequently destroyed by authorities. On that day, 14 February 2011, history repeated itself in Bahrain, as the sources of power repressed the majority through the forceful dispersion of protests, extrajudicial killings, the use of imported tear gas, arbitrary arrests, and systematic torture.
Despite the hollow gestures of "reform" initiatives and the expensive public relations image that Bahraini regime has paid for in the halls of power in Washington and Europe, the change in Bahrain since 14 February 2011 has not occurred through some generous bestowment by the regime. Rather, the change has been brought about by the masses disenchanted with the rhetoric of empty promises. Despite the absence of international support for the demands of dignity, justice, and human rights, the spirit of Bahrainis has sustained the uprising.
Image of confrontations between riot police and protesters on 14 February 2013 (Image provided by author].
Despite the abundance of American arms and Saudi Arabian soldiers, Bahrainis today refuse to yield. From the seventeen year-old boy, who lost his eye sight as a result of tear gas, to the young elementary student expelled from school for making a political statement, to the prisoners of conscience locked away in jail cells for expressing themselves in the face of a repressive regime, today's Bahrain will not give up.
An image of a protester resting on the street during protests on 14 February 2013. (Image provided by author].
An image of Nabeel Rajab in 2012 holding a sign that reads, "sumood" [perseverance] (Image by Saeed Saif).
That word has become the most prominent word in Bahraini vocabulary. Meaning "perseverance," it encapsulates what the revolution of February 14 is all about.
Tear gas engulfs a protester on 14 February 2013 (Image provided by author).
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
لكن البعض في معسكر اليسار في المنطقة، وفي لبنان بوجه خاص، يتلقفون المشهد الدموي في سوريا بقدر من الغموض الملفتclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
- Hassan Khan in Conversation with Mohamed Abdelkarim
- In Memory of Suphi Nejat Agirnasli
- إشكالية المجتمع المدني في المغرب
- Press Release: Saudi Death Sentence against Shia Leader Is Politically Motivated
- الانحناء على جثة عمّان
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Charif, Mohamad Hafeda, and Joumana al Jabri, Creative Refuge
- Panel Event: After Gezi, After the Elections, After ISIS: Politics in Turkey Now (CUNY Graduate Center, 20 October 2014)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Check out 'StatusHour' live on Ustream! http://t.co/6NtRo46NzG
13 hours ago
Tune in now! Live-stream of panel on "Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC... http://t.co/UPUnn0Q76g
14 hours ago
STARTING NOW: Panel on "Operation Protective Edge: Legal & Political Implications of ICC Prosecution" #Israel #Gaza http://t.co/tqRNNtxbHy
14 hours ago
Today! Live-Streaming OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution: 4 pm... http://t.co/S6zbMzakLr
16 hours ago
Today! Live-Streaming OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution: 4 pm @ GMU: http://t.co/7XIrnyZBMY
16 hours ago