From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Film-Portrait of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, Human Rights Defender, Saudi Arabia Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Hashimi was sentenced to thirty years imprisonment by the Riyadh Special Criminal Court in November 2011.
Judith Butler's Remarks to Brooklyn College on BDS Judith Butler spoke at a recent boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) event held at Brooklyn College. The event was the subject of a major public campaign to pressure the Department of Political Science at the college to withdraw their co-sponoshorship of the event. In her comments, Ms. Butler addressed both the aims of the movement and the controversy surrounding this event.
Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition The Open Society Foundation reports on the use of secret detention and extraordinary rendition by the CIA in the years following September 11.
Open Letter to President Obama Bahieddin Hassan addresses President Obama with his concerns over the president's commentary on events in Egypt in the wake of violence used by the government against protesters.
Statement from Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition The Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition argues for the importance of the re-activation and revitalization of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and the need to hold direct elections to the Palestinian National Council.
Eye on the Libyan General National Congress: Second Report In the second of a series of reports, the Bokra Youth Organization and H2O Team monitor the actions of Libya's General National Congress, including legislation, statements, and other decisions.
Two Years of Deaths and Detentions The Bahrain Center for Human Rights announces its second anniversary report, which discusses the human rights abuses that have taken place against pro-democracy activists in Bahrain.
The Feb 15 Call for Global Protests for Democracy, Solidarity and Justice An international group of scholars and activists issued this statement calling for protests advocating greater solidarity and communication between the peoples of the world to oppose elite abuse of power.
Film-Portrait of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, Human Rights Defender, UAE Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Roken has been detained in solitary confinement in an unknown location along with sixty-five other activists since 17 July 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Said’s legacy is one that insists on the necessity of solidarity, and of linking up various forms of struggle. But it is also one that deepens our understanding of solidarity by noting that solidarity and criticism, sometimes taken to be opposites, are in fact closely linked...click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Syria Media Roundup (April 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 13-19)
- Sharjah Biennial 12: Nikhil Chopra's Use like Water
- Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat's Egypt: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Abdullah Al-Arian and Anthony Alessandrini
- Black Feminism Is: Reflections on the Black Feminist Think Tank Symposium
- National Association of Chicana and Chicano Studies Annual Conference Endorses Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Reflections on Public Spaces in Revolutionary and Post-Revolutionary Tunis
- من اجل مجتمع مدني فاعل في مصر: مقابلة للوضع بين لينا عطا الله وجاسر عبد الرازق
- إدواردو غاليانو: عدوّ النسيان
- Academics for Palestine Ireland supports the organisers of the Southampton conference
- Twenty Wheelchairs Roam Downtown Cairo in Mission Roosevelt
- نقابة الصحفيين: احتكار بالقانون
- عن ما بعد الثورة وقبلها: مقابلة للوضع بين سنان أنطون وبلال فضل
- Dwekh Nawsha: A Christian-Iraqi Militia
- The Joint List: The Fetishism of Representation and the Illusion of Influence
- On Developments in Yarmouk: France 24 Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani
- New Texts Out Now: Ran Greenstein, Zionism and its Discontents: A Century of Radical Dissent in Israel/Palestine
- It’s a Kind of a Domesticated Wilderness: An Interview with Abbas Akhavan
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 14)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 14)