From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Film-Portrait of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, Human Rights Defender, Saudi Arabia Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Hashimi was sentenced to thirty years imprisonment by the Riyadh Special Criminal Court in November 2011.
Judith Butler's Remarks to Brooklyn College on BDS Judith Butler spoke at a recent boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) event held at Brooklyn College. The event was the subject of a major public campaign to pressure the Department of Political Science at the college to withdraw their co-sponoshorship of the event. In her comments, Ms. Butler addressed both the aims of the movement and the controversy surrounding this event.
Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition The Open Society Foundation reports on the use of secret detention and extraordinary rendition by the CIA in the years following September 11.
Open Letter to President Obama Bahieddin Hassan addresses President Obama with his concerns over the president's commentary on events in Egypt in the wake of violence used by the government against protesters.
Statement from Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition The Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition argues for the importance of the re-activation and revitalization of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and the need to hold direct elections to the Palestinian National Council.
Eye on the Libyan General National Congress: Second Report In the second of a series of reports, the Bokra Youth Organization and H2O Team monitor the actions of Libya's General National Congress, including legislation, statements, and other decisions.
Two Years of Deaths and Detentions The Bahrain Center for Human Rights announces its second anniversary report, which discusses the human rights abuses that have taken place against pro-democracy activists in Bahrain.
The Feb 15 Call for Global Protests for Democracy, Solidarity and Justice An international group of scholars and activists issued this statement calling for protests advocating greater solidarity and communication between the peoples of the world to oppose elite abuse of power.
Film-Portrait of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, Human Rights Defender, UAE Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Roken has been detained in solitary confinement in an unknown location along with sixty-five other activists since 17 July 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)
- شعراء ما بعد الطوفان
- New Texts Out Now: Lina Khatib, Dina Matar, and Atef Alshaer, The Hizbullah Phenomenon: Politics and Communication
- New Texts Out Now: Rula Jurdi Abisaab and Malek Abisaab, The Shi‘ites of Lebanon: Modernism, Communism, and Hizbullah’s Islamists
- Migration, Fisheries, and the Supremacy of European Interests in Mauritania
- مجلة “الوضع” الصوتية على الهواء أصغوا وساهموا
- Status Audio Journal is Live! Listen Away and Contribute
- Syria Media Roundup (November 18)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 18)
- R-Shief Launches New Research Tools Allowing Full Access to Social Media Archives
- Armenian Diaspora Tourism in Turkey: An Interview with Anny Bakalian
- Sexual Violence, Women’s Bodies, and Israeli Settler Colonialism
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 10-16)
- Kenneth Balfelt
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 17)