From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Film-Portrait of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, Human Rights Defender, Saudi Arabia Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Hashimi was sentenced to thirty years imprisonment by the Riyadh Special Criminal Court in November 2011.
Judith Butler's Remarks to Brooklyn College on BDS Judith Butler spoke at a recent boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) event held at Brooklyn College. The event was the subject of a major public campaign to pressure the Department of Political Science at the college to withdraw their co-sponoshorship of the event. In her comments, Ms. Butler addressed both the aims of the movement and the controversy surrounding this event.
Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition The Open Society Foundation reports on the use of secret detention and extraordinary rendition by the CIA in the years following September 11.
Open Letter to President Obama Bahieddin Hassan addresses President Obama with his concerns over the president's commentary on events in Egypt in the wake of violence used by the government against protesters.
Statement from Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition The Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition argues for the importance of the re-activation and revitalization of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and the need to hold direct elections to the Palestinian National Council.
Eye on the Libyan General National Congress: Second Report In the second of a series of reports, the Bokra Youth Organization and H2O Team monitor the actions of Libya's General National Congress, including legislation, statements, and other decisions.
Two Years of Deaths and Detentions The Bahrain Center for Human Rights announces its second anniversary report, which discusses the human rights abuses that have taken place against pro-democracy activists in Bahrain.
The Feb 15 Call for Global Protests for Democracy, Solidarity and Justice An international group of scholars and activists issued this statement calling for protests advocating greater solidarity and communication between the peoples of the world to oppose elite abuse of power.
Film-Portrait of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, Human Rights Defender, UAE Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Roken has been detained in solitary confinement in an unknown location along with sixty-five other activists since 17 July 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"HCJ’s ruling construes a right for Israel to extensively exploit the natural resources in the OPT for the benefit of the Israeli private market."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Place as Provisional: Site-Specific Art Commissions in Sharjah
- How Should Rationalists Deal with Dogmatism? The Case of the Birmingham Quran Pages
- Photography Media Roundup (September 4)
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: A Party, an Army, and a Palace (Part II)
- DARS Media Roundup (July-August 2015)
- A Perfect Metaphor? The Trash Crisis in Lebanon: An Interview With Ziad Abu-Rish
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: A Party, an Army, and a Palace (Part I)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 2)
- Quick Thoughts on Tragedy and Treachery in Yemen: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Sheila Carapico
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 2)
- New Texts Out Now: Amira Jarmakani, An Imperialist Love Story: Desert Romances and the War on Terror
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: 'Much Loved' and Realism, Colonialism, and Pornography in Moroccan Cinema
- Turkey Media Roundup (September 1)
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: A Conversation with Ahmed Marzouki, Former Tazmamart Detainee
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: Roundtable Introduction
- Syria Media Roundup (August 31)
- Trade Unions and Dictatorship in Egypt
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 31)
- Turkey’s Three-Front War?
- ستاتوس\ الوضع: صدور العدد 2.2