From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Film-Portrait of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, Human Rights Defender, Saudi Arabia Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Saud Mukhtar Al-Hashimi, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Hashimi was sentenced to thirty years imprisonment by the Riyadh Special Criminal Court in November 2011.
Judith Butler's Remarks to Brooklyn College on BDS Judith Butler spoke at a recent boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) event held at Brooklyn College. The event was the subject of a major public campaign to pressure the Department of Political Science at the college to withdraw their co-sponoshorship of the event. In her comments, Ms. Butler addressed both the aims of the movement and the controversy surrounding this event.
Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition The Open Society Foundation reports on the use of secret detention and extraordinary rendition by the CIA in the years following September 11.
Open Letter to President Obama Bahieddin Hassan addresses President Obama with his concerns over the president's commentary on events in Egypt in the wake of violence used by the government against protesters.
Statement from Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition The Global Palestinian Right to Return Coalition argues for the importance of the re-activation and revitalization of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and the need to hold direct elections to the Palestinian National Council.
Eye on the Libyan General National Congress: Second Report In the second of a series of reports, the Bokra Youth Organization and H2O Team monitor the actions of Libya's General National Congress, including legislation, statements, and other decisions.
Two Years of Deaths and Detentions The Bahrain Center for Human Rights announces its second anniversary report, which discusses the human rights abuses that have taken place against pro-democracy activists in Bahrain.
The Feb 15 Call for Global Protests for Democracy, Solidarity and Justice An international group of scholars and activists issued this statement calling for protests advocating greater solidarity and communication between the peoples of the world to oppose elite abuse of power.
Film-Portrait of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, Human Rights Defender, UAE Alkarama Foundation highlights the humanitarian work of Dr. Mohamed Al-Roken, co-laureate of the 2012 Alkarama Award. Dr. Al-Roken has been detained in solitary confinement in an unknown location along with sixty-five other activists since 17 July 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Media on Media Roundup (April 25)
- Berkeley Event--6 Days, 50 Years: 1967 and the Politics of Time (28 April 2017)
- ما التنوير؟ غوغل، ويكيليكس، وإعادة تنظيم العالم
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 25)
- Turkey After the Referendum: A Roundtable
- Revisiting ‘Foucault in Iran’: A Response
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arab Studies Journal Announces Spring 2017 Issue: Editor's Note and Table of Contents
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 24)
- The Origins of the Lebanese National Idea, 1840-1920
- Syria Media Roundup (April 24)
- Visualizing Campus Collective Action for Palestine Solidarity
- A Letter to Foucault: Selectively Narrating the Stories of Secular Iranian Feminists
- Palestine Media Roundup (April 23)
- Jerusalem: A City for All?
- مجلة حميد العقابي الافتراضية
- Foucault, the Iranian Revolution, and the Politics of Collective Action
- مختارات من قصص وشعر حميد العقابي
- Political Economy Project Book Prize Competition: Call For Books Published in 2016
- قصائد للشاعر امبرتو سابا، المجلد الثاني