From the Editors
[This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on the Maghreb. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Maghreb-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form to firstname.lastname@example.org (click “Submissions” on the main page for more information)].
An Update from the Timbuktu Manuscripts Project A statement released by director of the Timbuktu Manuscripts Project, Dr. Shamil Jeppie, from the Institute for Humanities in Africa University (HUMA) of Cape Town.
لا أسف ولا ندم Thomas Serres addresses colonialism in Algeria in the minds of the French left.
On Algerian Civil Society and the Prohibition of Assembly Andrea Khalil discusses control of public space by the Algerian state.
Algeria, an Immense Bazaar: The Politics and Economic Consequences of Infitah Hamza Hamouchene discusses foreign investment in Algeria and consequences for economic development.
Early perspectives from Algeria on Northern Mali and French intervention Kal studies Algerian media perspectives dealing with French intervention in Mali.
Focus sur le Mali, troisième partie: Une périlleuse démonstration de force de l'ancienne puissance coloniale Nicolas Bourgeois focuses on causes and consequences of French intervention in Mali.
Mali in Focus, Part Two: A War That Threatens the Entire Region Hakim Addad describes potential effects for the region due to Malian conflict.
Focus sur le Mali, deuxième partie: Une guerre qui menace toute la région Hakim Addad describes potential effects for the region due to Malian conflict. (French version.)
A new revolt in Morocco: An Interview with Mohamed El Marouani Ahmed Benseddik and Salah Elayoubi interview Moroccan’s Al Umma party chairmen, former political prisoner and friend of Abdessalam Yassine.
قراءة هادئة في نداء 13 يناير Rida Benotmane discusses the current state of resistance in Morocco, with particular focus on 20 February.
Mali in Focus, Part One: The Jihadist Offensive Revisited Baki 7our Mansour describes various jihadist factions to shed light on complex political situation in Mali.
Mohamed El Marouani: « Les ingrédients d’une nouvelle vague de révolte, sont désormais réunis » Ahmed Benseddik and Salah Elayoubi interview Moroccan’s Al Umma party chairmen, former political prisoner and friend of Abdessalam Yassine. (French version.)
Penser le changement de l'éducation au Maroc : Interview de Nabil Belkabir, membre de l'UECSE Mikael Vogel interviews Nabil Belkabir, member of the Moroccan Movement of Students For the Change of the Education System.
La somme de tous les rêves brisés d'Anfgou et d'ailleurs Salah Elyoubi describes the plight of the isolated village of Anfgou in a remote area of the Atlas Mountains.
Repossessing the Dispossessed Larissa Chomiak and Robert B. Parks describe the public (but difficult to access) auction of ousted President Ben Ali’s luxury items.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The very cinematic nature of modern revolt, producing images and thus self-consciously framing itself, seems (falsely, I hope) to owe its success more to the theatricality of street fights than to dedication to justice."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- An Excerpt from Sinan Antoon's "Ave Maria"
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
- The Wonder Box
- Scholars Pledge to Boycott UIUC Over the Firing of Steven Salaita
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
BBC News - Gaza crisis: Israel kills three top Hamas commanders http://t.co/yO9tW6AABS
17 hours ago
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
yesterday at 10:45 AM
@sakkeh3arja Not at all. Yourself and Pulse, as well as others, will be invited to join an e-roundtable to address this properly.
yesterday at 10:43 AM
@sakkeh3arja just saw this comment. shows you're really angry, and incorrect in this assumption/tweet.
yesterday at 10:33 AM
@sakkeh3arja no denials. it's for all to see, and follow. despite ur accusations and insults, we engaged. must sign off for real now.
yesterday at 10:32 AM