From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Syria Through a Lens
A documentary on the life and works of slain Syrian filmmaker and activist Bassel Shahade.
Thursday, 28 February 2013
G3 Main Building
The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
Thornhaugh Street, WC1H 0XG London
Syria Through a Lens highlights the life, activism, and films of the late Syrian filmmaker Bassel Shahade. On 28 May 2012, Bassel was killed during a government assault on Homs, where he had been filming the aftermath of the violence in Houla. The film compiles clips of some of Bassel’s best short films, including Carrying Eid to Camps, The Reading Workshop, Singing to Freedom, and some of the last footage found on his camera before he was killed. Arguably his best film, Saturday Morning Gift, based on a true interview he conducted about the 2006 Israeli-Lebanese war, showcases the travesties of war from a child’s view.
A previous article on Jadaliyya about the film and Bassel Shahade can be read here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"If socioeconomic factors are at the very heart of the Arab uprising, it follows that there are still radical changes to come, which may well bring in their wake new episodes of revolution and counter-revolution."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 20-26)
- Daoud’s Camus Fanfiction Is More of the Same
- تدمر، واحة للظلام
- Gay Hanging in Iran: Atrocities and Impersonations
- Quick Thoughts: John Reynolds on Recent Amendments to the Israeli Penal Code
- لا بشرٌ ولاحجر... تدمر وسرديات الحرب على الآثار
- Boycotting Israeli Academic Institutions: Advice for Anthropologists
- خلافـــــة الرئيـــس
- New Texts Out Now: Ali Issa, Against All Odds: Voices of Popular Struggle in Iraq
- New Texts Out Now: Franck Mermier, Récits de villes: d’Aden à Beyrouth
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 22)
- Attacks against Solidarity with Kobane: The Suruç Massacre of Young Revolutionaries
- Why are LGBT Equality Organizations Joining Forces with Israel Advocacy Groups?
- Has Amnesty International Lost Its Way? A Forensic Analysis of Amnesty’s Reports on Operation Protective Edge (Part 1)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 21)
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 21)
- وردة باراثِلسو: قصة للكاتب الأرجنتيني خورخِ لويس بورخِسْ
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 20)
- Beirut Event -- Lebanon in the 1940s and 1950s: A Panel Discussion (28 July 2015)
- جنازات الخريف