From the Editors
Syria Through a Lens
A documentary on the life and works of slain Syrian filmmaker and activist Bassel Shahade.
Thursday, 28 February 2013
G3 Main Building
The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
Thornhaugh Street, WC1H 0XG London
Syria Through a Lens highlights the life, activism, and films of the late Syrian filmmaker Bassel Shahade. On 28 May 2012, Bassel was killed during a government assault on Homs, where he had been filming the aftermath of the violence in Houla. The film compiles clips of some of Bassel’s best short films, including Carrying Eid to Camps, The Reading Workshop, Singing to Freedom, and some of the last footage found on his camera before he was killed. Arguably his best film, Saturday Morning Gift, based on a true interview he conducted about the 2006 Israeli-Lebanese war, showcases the travesties of war from a child’s view.
A previous article on Jadaliyya about the film and Bassel Shahade can be read here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“But "security" under occupation is in reality maintaining Israel's security by force and eliminating any threat to the status quo through political repression.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- من إنجيل العراق الضائع
- Revolutionary Street Art: Complicating the Discourse
- Khalil Sweileh: from Barbarians' Paradise
- Djerba, Tunisia: Garbage Disposal, the Environmental Crisis, and the Awakening of Ecoconsciousness
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 25-31)
- On SJP’s Freedom to Organize: An Open Letter from CUNY Faculty
- New Texts (NEWTON) Compilation by Category For Fall Semester
- One Century after World War I and the Balfour Declaration: Palestine and Palestine Studies
- Italian-Palestinian Relations: What Went Wrong?
- From Containment to Counterinsurgency in the Gaza Strip
- Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs
- After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability
- Cities Media Roundup (August 1-30)
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Breaking! Chancellor Wise to Forward Salaita Appointment to Trustees. Read two explanations here: http://t.co/kuKnXOYS5p via @CoreyRobin
yesterday at 8:27 PM
Djerba, Tunisia: Garbage Disposal, the Environmental Crisis, and the Awakening of Ecoconsciousness http://t.co/7PNcZKV47u
yesterday at 4:23 PM
سنان أنطون: من إنجيل العراق الضائع http://t.co/MMn2DoRPhy
yesterday at 3:13 PM
Call for Submissions: Rhonda A. Saad Prize for Best Graduate Paper in Modern and Contemporary Arab Art http://t.co/aHY0mnUmdj
yesterday at 11:03 AM
Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 25-31) http://t.co/hHrD9k6F9m
yesterday at 7:18 AM