From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Mar 29 2011
[See Toby Jones on Bahrain in Jadaliyya here]
AUDIO PLAYER BELOW
On March 15th, Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa declared a three-month emergency rule and invited armed forces of Saudi Arabia and other Arab states of the Persian Gulf to help quash two months of growing anti-government protests in the country.
Since the start of the protests and the deadly government crackdown in Bahrain, more than twenty-one people have been killed and up to one-hundred others are still missing
Last Monday, King Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa praised the Saudi-led force and said: "Bahrain is bigger and stronger today than ever."
In comparison, the protests in Saudi Arabia have thus far been sporadic, small in scale and immediately quelled by security forces. Nonetheless, Saudi King Abdullah has announced a 93 billion dollar handout package including loans and an in government salaries in what appears to be an attempt to stave off a wave of protests that are sweeping the Middle East and North Africa.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"I wondered why anyone mourning the death of these victims would thank a negligent state that has failed to provide minimal protection for this church and over fifty others across Egypt... Perhaps religious leaders are not really men of God, but men of state."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
- دورنا في صناعة الظلام
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (January 23- March 5)
- Syria Media Roundup (March 15)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
You need to upgrade your Flash Player