From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following letter from Pink Floyd's co-lead vocalist and basist Roger Waters was published on 29 May 2013 by the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI). It was written as a follow-up and in support of Alice Walker's letter to Alicia Keys emploring her to boycott Israel and cancel her upcoming performance there.]
"Just Another Open Letter in The Wall"
Dear Alicia Keys
I read today Alice Walker's eloquent and moving entreaty to you in her open letter.
It is hard to add anything except to implore you to follow all the links she has directed you to.
To introduce myself to you, I am a fellow musician, my name is Roger Waters, I used to be in a band called Pink Floyd, and, believe it or not, I still work.
I had reason last December to write a letter to Stevie Wonder to encourage him to withdraw from an engagement in LA. It was a Gala to raise funds for the Israeli Defense Force. I wasn't the only one to write; Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the great advocate of peace and reconciliation, was among many, many others who wrote as well. To Stevie's great credit he withdrew.
We are all part of the same old story, nothing has changed since the bad old days of apartheid South Africa and Segregated America. We must stand united with all our brothers and sisters against racism, colonialism, segregation and apartheid.
Please, Alicia, do not lend your name to give legitimacy to the Israeli government policies of illegal, apartheid occupation of the homelands of the indigenous people of Palestine.
Others may try to persuade you that by playing in Israel you may magically effect some change; we know that this is not true: appeasement didn't work with South Africa and it has not worked in Israel. I know I tried it ten years ago, and things have only got worse.
I appeal to you to join the rising tide of resistance. Join the many millions of us in global civil society who stand together on the side of justice and peace for all humanity. "We shall overcome one day."
With love and respect,
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"American Muslims do not need to achieve perfect consensus in order to effectively organize around particular political issues of shared concern and speak in a collective voice."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia
- Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported Middle East Studies Centers
- Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia http://t.co/6izMU6L3Ke
13 hours ago
Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey http://t.co/K1z9GIvf9J
15 hours ago
Call for Participants: 2015 PARC Faculty Development Seminar (May 14-25, 2015, Jerusalem and the West Bank) http://t.co/xDuLAAZEyx
16 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 PARC Fellowship for US Scholars Conducting Field-Based Research on Palestine http://t.co/vfJpBGRqsR
16 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 NEH/FPIRI PARK Fellowship for Scholars Conducting Field-Based Humanities Research in... http://t.co/QnpUau2v6I
16 hours ago