From the Editors
Hundreds of people, including supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi and residents of Cairo's al-Manial district, clashed for hours on al-Gamaa bridge on the night of 5 July 2013, using rocks, sticks, and guns. The chaotic scene started around 10 p.m., as Morsi's supporters were returning from a march nearby Tahrir Square. The violence dragged on for hours, as victims were being carried away to the hospital every few minutes, and as the terrifying sound of gunfire echoed through the streets. Twelve of al-Manial’s residents died in the clashes.
Their anger and agony was still visible the next day, when I went back to cover the funerals of al-Manial residents. Friends and relatives of the victims said they were willing to retaliate.
The events leave us all wondering: What should be done to stop the bloodshed?
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“So what are we seeing in Israel? A farce? A brief spasm over bread? Spoiled whingeing over the price of a flat for the children of the generals? An impossible chimera of joint struggle, the faint historical tracings of the Palestine Communist Party evanescently appearing in the Israeli imaginary?"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 26)
- الخطر السياسي القادم ما بعد العدوان على غزة
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد شكري
- Syria Media Roundup (August 15)
- Antisemitism and Salaita
- Israel's "Operation Status Quo": A Preliminary Assessment
- Who Are the Insurgents and Counterinsurgents?
- Support for Steven Salaita and the UIUC Boycott Continues to Grow
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 18-24)
- لا تقصص رؤياك
- Badr Shakir Al-Sayyab: A Profile from the Archives
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 August)
- منام الطفل السنجاريّ
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: Overheard guards saying they are going to deport me. They keep saying I am not a citizen, but won't show me any docume…
yesterday at 8:17 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm denied entry. I'm starting a water-only hunger strike. I won't voluntarily leave. My only demand is to be let into…
yesterday at 8:16 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm being detained in airport. Telling me I don't have Bahraini citizenship. I'm asking for proof.
yesterday at 8:16 PM
Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam Alkhawaja http://t.co/k5VUAS3Mlr
yesterday at 7:48 PM
Open Letter on Gaza and BDS from the Middle East Caucus of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies http://t.co/OMwnsGTx7u
yesterday at 12:24 PM