From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Hundreds of people, including supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi and residents of Cairo's al-Manial district, clashed for hours on al-Gamaa bridge on the night of 5 July 2013, using rocks, sticks, and guns. The chaotic scene started around 10 p.m., as Morsi's supporters were returning from a march nearby Tahrir Square. The violence dragged on for hours, as victims were being carried away to the hospital every few minutes, and as the terrifying sound of gunfire echoed through the streets. Twelve of al-Manial’s residents died in the clashes.
Their anger and agony was still visible the next day, when I went back to cover the funerals of al-Manial residents. Friends and relatives of the victims said they were willing to retaliate.
The events leave us all wondering: What should be done to stop the bloodshed?
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Why would Primo Levi condemn the execution and demand a trial for terrorists and tyrants? We need look no farther than the profoundly elemental title of his Auschwitz memoir If This Is A Man.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- el Seed and Aya Tarek Discuss Calligraffiti
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2015)
- New Media and the Spectacle of the War on Terror
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Downey, Uncommon Grounds: New Media and Critical Practices in the Middle East and North Africa
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 23-March 2)
- Syria Media Roundup (March 2)
- Nada Baraka's Fractals
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 3)
- Turkey Media Roundup (March 3)
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 2)
- ستاتوس\الوضع: العدد 2.1
- Mental Health Programs for Syrian Refugees
- DARS Media Roundup (February 2015)
- Cities Media Roundup (February 2015)
- Minyan Village Mourns: A Photographic Essay
- Burj el Imam: Music by Sharif Sehnaoui, Raed Yassin and Alan Bishop
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.1 is Live!
- New Texts Out Now: Jonathan A.C. Brown, Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 24)
- Beyond Authenticity: ISIS and the Islamic Legal Tradition