From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Hundreds of people, including supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi and residents of Cairo's al-Manial district, clashed for hours on al-Gamaa bridge on the night of 5 July 2013, using rocks, sticks, and guns. The chaotic scene started around 10 p.m., as Morsi's supporters were returning from a march nearby Tahrir Square. The violence dragged on for hours, as victims were being carried away to the hospital every few minutes, and as the terrifying sound of gunfire echoed through the streets. Twelve of al-Manial’s residents died in the clashes.
Their anger and agony was still visible the next day, when I went back to cover the funerals of al-Manial residents. Friends and relatives of the victims said they were willing to retaliate.
The events leave us all wondering: What should be done to stop the bloodshed?
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
What I thought it meant to be Aleppan turned out to be nothing but a cracked veneer. What we were had nothing to do with where we were from, but everything to do with recognizing the strength of our will to live.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- تقرير خاص: اليمن: الصحفيون والمدافعون عن حقوق الإنسان معرضون للخطر أثناء الحرب
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 27-May 3)
- Saudi Arabia and the War of Legitimacy in Yemen
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interviewed by Al-Jazeera English on UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura
- قراءة في شوق الدرويش: رواية تنتمي لنموذج ما بعد الاستعمار
- DARS Media Roundup (April 2015)
- On May Day, We Are in Taksim and We Are Everywhere!
- موت الله والحرب على الإرهاب
- تاريخ النشاط السياسي واقتصاده السياسي في المغرب: مقابلة للوضع بين زكية سليم وسامية الرزوقي
- Photography Media Roundup (April 30)
- حوار مع إدواردو غاليانو
- Bassam Haddad on Syria at Harvard: 'A Stateless Regime or State with Many Regimes?'
- New Texts Out Now: Adi Kuntsman and Rebecca L. Stein, Digital Militarism: Israel’s Occupation in the Social Media Age
- Highlights from the 4th Downtown Contemporary Arts Festival
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 28)
- AAUP Findings on the Steven Salaita Case
- Cities Media Roundup (April 2015)
- ما زلنا نغني للثورة: مقابلة للوضع بين رامي عصام وبسام حداد
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 28)
- Experimenting and Exploring II: Student Photography from Cairo