From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Hundreds of people, including supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi and residents of Cairo's al-Manial district, clashed for hours on al-Gamaa bridge on the night of 5 July 2013, using rocks, sticks, and guns. The chaotic scene started around 10 p.m., as Morsi's supporters were returning from a march nearby Tahrir Square. The violence dragged on for hours, as victims were being carried away to the hospital every few minutes, and as the terrifying sound of gunfire echoed through the streets. Twelve of al-Manial’s residents died in the clashes.
Their anger and agony was still visible the next day, when I went back to cover the funerals of al-Manial residents. Friends and relatives of the victims said they were willing to retaliate.
The events leave us all wondering: What should be done to stop the bloodshed?
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“To continue to insist on blanket support for Asad under the pretense of an anti-imperialist stance is to confuse anti-imperialism with blind support for nationalist elites.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Letter to Amcha Initiative Regarding Its Report on UCLA Center for Near Eastern Studies
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Letter to Amcha Initiative Regarding Its Report on UCLA Center for Near Eastern Studies http://t.co/eOq5sw3gzY
yesterday at 6:31 AM
Erdoğan, Türk milliyetçiliği kartına oynuyor http://t.co/wCzR7BkXd6
yesterday at 4:27 AM
New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam http://t.co/AmeAB1qa56
yesterday at 8:30 PM
On the BDS Blacklist http://t.co/p6EKLEEBXg
yesterday at 1:23 PM
Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven... http://t.co/GgjAHG3xzz
yesterday at 1:20 PM