From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Arab Uprisings and Middle East Studies: Roundtable with Beshara Doumani, Charles Hirschkind, Saba Mahmood, and Stefania Pandolfo
This is an audio recording of an informal roundtable on how the recent popular uprisings in the Arab world have impacted research and teaching on the Middle East in the various disciplines. The roundtable was held on May 2 at the University of California, Berkeley (UCB) as part of the Luncheon Seminar, a monthly gathering of faculty and graduate students at UCB who work on the Middle East and North Africa and Islam-related topics. This roundtable capped five meetings of the Luncheon Seminar during the Spring 2011 Semester, all of which were focused on the impact of the Arab Uprisings on our work and understanding of this region.
Beshara Doumani, Stefania Pandolfo, Charles Hirschkind, and Saba Mahmood, (in that order) spoke for ten minutes each, followed by an open discussion among the faculty and graduate students who attended the Luncheon Seminar on that day (about 30 individuals). Malihe Razazan, Co-Producer of Voices of the Middle East and North Africa (KPFA, Berkeley), and of Your Call (KALW, San Francisco) recorded and edited the event.
It is our hope that these informal and tentative interventions about how we can best understand, study, and teach this region in light of this historical rupture –will be of some use to the listeners. Comments welcome.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
علاقة علماء الدين بالسلطة في التاريخ الإسلامي علاقة معقدة، وإن كانت تميل في أغلب الأحيان، خاصة بعد القرن الخامس هجري/الحادي عشر ميلادي، إلى التواطؤ والاستزلامclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Five Years After the Arab Uprisings: An Interview with Asef Bayat
- Statement by International Committee for the the Red Cross on Indiscriminate Violence in Aleppo
- Jeremy Corbyn Hasn’t Got an “Anti-Semitism Problem,” His Opponents Do
- Palestine Media Roundup (April 29)
- القدس 2016: إجراءات تهويدية تُبقي عوامل الانفجار قائمة
- الحضارة بين عقل الأفندي والأكاديمي
- أفكار سريعة: ماريا فانتابيه حول أكراد سورية
- فلسطين-إسرائيل: تفكيك الاستعمار الآن والسلام لاحقاً
- The Human Right to Dominate: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Nicola Perugini
- Syria Media Roundup (April 27)
- New Texts Out Now: Ala'a Shehabi and Marc Owen Jones, Bahrain's Uprising: Resistance and Repression in the Gulf
- Pro-AKP Media Figures Continue to Target Academics for Peace
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 26)
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 26)
- Syrian Refugees and the Map of a Dangerous Journey: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Alia Malek
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 18-24)
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 25)
- Critical Readings in Political Economy
- Palestine Media Roundup (April 23)