From the Editors
Arab Uprisings and Middle East Studies: Roundtable with Beshara Doumani, Charles Hirschkind, Saba Mahmood, and Stefania Pandolfo
This is an audio recording of an informal roundtable on how the recent popular uprisings in the Arab world have impacted research and teaching on the Middle East in the various disciplines. The roundtable was held on May 2 at the University of California, Berkeley (UCB) as part of the Luncheon Seminar, a monthly gathering of faculty and graduate students at UCB who work on the Middle East and North Africa and Islam-related topics. This roundtable capped five meetings of the Luncheon Seminar during the Spring 2011 Semester, all of which were focused on the impact of the Arab Uprisings on our work and understanding of this region.
Beshara Doumani, Stefania Pandolfo, Charles Hirschkind, and Saba Mahmood, (in that order) spoke for ten minutes each, followed by an open discussion among the faculty and graduate students who attended the Luncheon Seminar on that day (about 30 individuals). Malihe Razazan, Co-Producer of Voices of the Middle East and North Africa (KPFA, Berkeley), and of Your Call (KALW, San Francisco) recorded and edited the event.
It is our hope that these informal and tentative interventions about how we can best understand, study, and teach this region in light of this historical rupture –will be of some use to the listeners. Comments welcome.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On the Margins Roundup (September)
- New Texts Out Now: Abdullah Al-Arian, Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat’s Egypt
- Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul: Un urbanisme spéculatif, ségrégatif et durable
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014)
- Cities Media Roundup (September 1-30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 30)
- A Voyage to Toledo: Twenty-Five Years After the 'Jews of the Orient and Palestinians' Meeting
- Displaced Intentions
- When Your Name is on the Blacklist
- عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء"
- Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel
- Turkey’s New Migration Policy: Control Through Bureaucratization
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 22-28)
- El Rass
- Excavating the Sky
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 29)
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar
- Tadween Spotlight: Gaza
- Evden Emlaga Fikirtepe: Rant ve Spekulasyon Ekseninde Kentsel Donusum
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Statement by Jewish Studies Professors Regarding 'Deplorable' Amcha Initiative http://t.co/2eEW1QeGAA
yesterday at 9:02 AM
Jadaliyya's Top 50 of All Time http://t.co/mdnFJqWqM2
yesterday at 8:35 AM
Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul http://t.co/7TCOtNabQC
yesterday at 8:21 AM
Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions http://t.co/d5GNce4597
yesterday at 8:10 AM
Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014) http://t.co/lVuyHprzP6
yesterday at 8:05 AM