From the Editors
Hamza Ali al-Khatib, a 13-year old boy, was attending a protest calling for the end of the siege of Der'a. He was one of the many individuals detained that day as part of a brutal crackdown on the protest. One month later, his body was released to his family with clear signs that he had been tortured. Videos of his bruised, battered, and tortured body circulated the internet, culminating in a "We Are All the Martyr Hamza Ali al-Khatib" Facebook page.
As outrage over Hamza's torture and death spread, what appeared to be a dying protest movement has been re-energized this past weekend. In response, the Syrian regime arrested Hamza's father, Ali al-Khatib. There are fears that his arrest is part of a plan to force Ali to publicly state that his son Hamza was not killed by the Syrian regime but rather by "terrorists."
The below video was recorded on May 25th, 2011, and is of the funeral procession of Hamza Ali al-Khatib that took place in the town of Jizah.
1 comment for "Funeral of Tortured Syrian Child Hamza al-Khatib (Video)"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
“But "security" under occupation is in reality maintaining Israel's security by force and eliminating any threat to the status quo through political repression.”click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Tadween Roundup: News and Analysis from the Publishing/Academic World
- Syria Media Roundup (May 23)
- Asfari Institute Inaugural Conference: New Spaces of Civil Society Activism in the Arab World (Beirut, 23-24 May)
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي