From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The speaker of parliament announced yesterday that that the Syrian regime will hold presidential elections on 3 June 2014. This announcement comes amid an array of speculation about the strategies of the regime in the face of over three years of the Syrian uprising, a brutal and destructive regime response, and the militarization and radicalization of key segments of the opposition. With over 130,000 dead, approximately nine million displaced, and nearly fifty percent of the population dependent on aid, how do we make sense of the Syrian regime's announcement of elections amidst civil war?
In the below interview with Worldview airing on National Public Radio (NPR), Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad discusses the recent announcement, its broader context, and possible implications. The interview was conducted and broadcast on Monday 21 April 2014, the day of the elections announcement.
Bassam will also be speaking at UIC, a Community Fundraiser for Humanitarian Relief, and at the University of Chicago this week. Details of these events are provided below the interview.
Upcoming Speaking Events
Tuesday 22 April 2014 (Click here for event flier)
5 pm @ University of Illinois at Chicago
University Hall 401
601 S. Mortgan Street
Wednesday 23 April 2014 (Fundraiser)
6 pm - 9 pm @ Alhambra Palace Restaurant
1240 W. Randolph St.,
Thursday 24 April 2014
10:30 am @ University of Chicago
Social Sciences, Room 1122
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 5)
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 4)
- تقرير خاص: اليمن: الصحفيون والمدافعون عن حقوق الإنسان معرضون للخطر أثناء الحرب
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 27-May 3)
- Saudi Arabia and the War of Legitimacy in Yemen
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interviewed by Al-Jazeera English on UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura
- قراءة في شوق الدرويش: رواية تنتمي لنموذج ما بعد الاستعمار
- DARS Media Roundup (April 2015)
- On May Day, We Are in Taksim and We Are Everywhere!
- موت الله والحرب على الإرهاب
- تاريخ النشاط السياسي واقتصاده السياسي في المغرب: مقابلة للوضع بين زكية سليم وسامية الرزوقي
- Photography Media Roundup (April 30)
- حوار مع إدواردو غاليانو
- Bassam Haddad on Syria at Harvard: 'A Stateless Regime or State with Many Regimes?'
- New Texts Out Now: Adi Kuntsman and Rebecca L. Stein, Digital Militarism: Israel’s Occupation in the Social Media Age
- Highlights from the 4th Downtown Contemporary Arts Festival
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 28)
- AAUP Findings on the Steven Salaita Case
- Cities Media Roundup (April 2015)
- ما زلنا نغني للثورة: مقابلة للوضع بين رامي عصام وبسام حداد