From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates Whether Diplomacy Can End the Conflct in Gaza on Al Jazeera English’s “Inside Story”
[This video and post were originally published by Al Jazeera English.]
US President Barack Obama told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu he was worried fierce fighting with Hamas in Gaza could escalate, and offered help to broker a ceasefire.
Obama spoke to Netanyahu after Israeli jets pounded Gaza for a fourth consecutive day but did not stop its fighters from launching more rockets. The situation is causing global concern over the rising number of Palestinian casualties.
The United States regards Hamas as a terrorist organization and so is not prepared to negotiate with the group. But John Kerry, the US secretary of state, spoke to the Egyptian foreign minister and the leaders of Qatar, urging them to use their influence with Hamas to stop the fighting.
So, will Washington rely on regional players to achieve a truce in Gaza? And do these countries have any desire to do this job?
Presenter: Mike Hanna
Dan Diker: Director General of the World Jewish Congress.
Oguz Celikkol: Former Turkish Ambassador to Israel.
Noura Erakat: Human Rights Lawyer and Adjuct Professor at Georgetown University.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Facebook, formerly a world of mundane, self-centered utterances, is now the social network of sadness, a place to witness our dead and count their bodies, to name our Fridays and “like” pages of martyrs. It is a cemetery of friendships and fertile ground to plant new alliances.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- حركة المقاطعة: مقابلة لبرنامج الوضع مع عمر برغوثي
- فهد سوريا - الجزء الثاني
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 27)
- Ussama Makdisi on The Invention of Sectarianism in the Modern Middle East
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 20-26)
- الترجمة في سياق المقاومة العامة للخراب: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع ثائر ديب
- فهد سوريا - الجزء الأول
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 26 فبراير
- The Precarity of Youth: Entrepreneurship is not the Solution
- Palestine Media Roundup (February 24)
- الغرب والسوريون: مبيعات الأسلحة الأمريكية والأوروبية للشرق الأوسط 2011- 2014
- Vote Yes on MESA Bylaw Amendment: Roundtable by Elyse Semerdjian, John Chalcraft, and Asli Bali
- Media on Media Roundup (February 21)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 21)
- دونالد ترامب والصراع في فلسطين
- خمس قصص قصيرة للكاتب الإسباني خوان خوسية مياس
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 19 فبراير
- Extensive Syria Media Roundup (Jan 8 - Feb 19, 2017)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 20)