From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates Whether Diplomacy Can End the Conflct in Gaza on Al Jazeera English’s “Inside Story”
[This video and post were originally published by Al Jazeera English.]
US President Barack Obama told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu he was worried fierce fighting with Hamas in Gaza could escalate, and offered help to broker a ceasefire.
Obama spoke to Netanyahu after Israeli jets pounded Gaza for a fourth consecutive day but did not stop its fighters from launching more rockets. The situation is causing global concern over the rising number of Palestinian casualties.
The United States regards Hamas as a terrorist organization and so is not prepared to negotiate with the group. But John Kerry, the US secretary of state, spoke to the Egyptian foreign minister and the leaders of Qatar, urging them to use their influence with Hamas to stop the fighting.
So, will Washington rely on regional players to achieve a truce in Gaza? And do these countries have any desire to do this job?
Presenter: Mike Hanna
Dan Diker: Director General of the World Jewish Congress.
Oguz Celikkol: Former Turkish Ambassador to Israel.
Noura Erakat: Human Rights Lawyer and Adjuct Professor at Georgetown University.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Even with continued Israeli control of the Palestinian coast and airspace, Gaza’s trade with the rest of the world could be re-routed to transit through Egypt and Jordan."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Palestine Media Roundup (April 23)
- Jerusalem: A City for All?
- مجلة حميد العقابي الافتراضية
- Foucault, the Iranian Revolution, and the Politics of Collective Action
- مختارات من قصص وشعر حميد العقابي
- Political Economy Project Book Prize Competition: Call For Books Published in 2016
- قصائد للشاعر امبرتو سابا، المجلد الثاني
- Foucault’s Folly: Iran, Political Spirituality, and Counter-Conduct
- مَن يطهِّر مَن عرقيًا؟: استيلاء إسرائيل على الرواية الفلسطينية
- Media on Media Roundup (April 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (April 19)
- Foucault: Against the Ideology of Enlightenment
- Bassam Haddad and Brian Edwards Discuss Middle East Studies and Public Scholarship
- كتب- علي عبد الأمير: رقصة الفستان الأحمر الأخيرة
- Life and Death in Palestine - A STATUS/الوضع Interview with Ben Ehrenreich
- The Refugee Crisis in Greece- A STATUS/الوضع Interview with Georgia Arapidou
- JinJin Fear with Zizi: An Interview with the Rocca Family
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 10-16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 18)
- Rescuing the Revolution from Its Outcome