From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
"What is Trending on Social Media in the Middle East?" is a regular feature of the Quick Thoughts special segment on Status. It offers insight into subjects that dominate online discussion in the Middle East. With every Issue, we will talk to Laila Shereen Sakr, who monitors, collects, and analyzes social media trends for R-Shief.
The data visualizations for this episode (below) illustrate the patterns of hashtag use in the Middle East pertaining to various topics in Summer 2015 (mid-June through mid-August). Created by R-Shief, these visualizations show the top five hashtags for this period from a set of two thousand hashtags being tracked.
Laila Shereen Sakr's interview, which can be found in the player below, explains these visualizations, highlights the most compelling aspects of these trending hashtags, and offers insight into how they should be understood.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“To Israel, South Sudan is another formerly-enslaved nation that escaped the clutches of Muslim violence and intolerance.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey