From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Last Saturday, two powerful bombs turned a peaceful rally in Ankara into into a bloody nightmare. According to the People’s Democratic Party's (HDP) estimates, 128 people have been killed and over five hundred injured.
The anger against the government of president Erodgan became evident in the immediate aftermath of the massacre, as tens of thousands of people took to the streets shouting slogans against the government, chanting “murderer Erdogan, murderer police.” According to news reports, immediately following the horrific attack, the government censored news coverage and banned all photographs and any associated images “that create fear and panic." Officials warned that any Turkish media organizations violating the ban would face “permanent blackout.” This week, we’ll have a conversation with Istanbul-based political scientist Dr. Osman Şahin about the massacre in Ankara and the increasing frequency of attacks on peaceful gatherings in Turkey.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
إذا استمرت منظمة التحرير الفلسطينية في مساعيها لنيل المطلب الفلسطيني للحصول على اعتراف الأمم المتحدة بالدولة الفلسطينيةclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Cities Media Roundup (March 2017)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 30)
- The Naksa Fifty Years Later: New Sources, Questions, and Approaches to the '67 War (Conference at Harvard)
- Political Economy Project Book Prize Competition: Call For Books Published in 2016
- The World in the City and the City in the World: Reading the Janet Abu-Lughod Library
- New Texts Out Now: Henri Lauzière, The Making of Salafism: Islamic Reform in the Twentieth Century
- الوضع العارض والمؤقت للشباب: ريادة الأعمال ليست حلاً
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 28)
- Violence: Theirs and Ours
- Syria Media Roundup (March 27)
- إسطنبول.. لجوء في انتظار اللجوء
- الأغنية الوطنية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع ايليني مستكلم وفارس شوملي
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 20-26)
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 27)
- Dark Beirut: The (In)Visibility of Electricity
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 26)
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)