From the Editors
"The United States Is Not Qualified to Intervene on Behalf of Democracy in the Region": Al-Jazeera Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor
This interview was conducted with Jadaliyya Co-Editor, Bassam Haddad, on the role of the United States in Syria. After five months of continuous suppression of protests in Syria, resulting in nearly 2000 deaths and more than 15,000 arrests, the Syrian regime is facing growing regional and international pressures to stop the violence and engage in serious dialogue with various segments of the Syrian opposition. Some have critiqued the United States for not doing more, or intervening further, in the Syrian case. Based on its historical record, Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad discusses the role and qualifications of the United States for intervening on the side of democracy, and the protesters, in the Arab uprisings.
1 comment for ""The United States Is Not Qualified to Intervene on Behalf of Democracy in the Region": Al-Jazeera Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The ethos of respect, tolerance and pacifism which appeared to underpin Coppolani’s mission, in fact served as a convenient tool of ethical legitimacy for the French empire.. local ways of life were to be respected and upheld only insofar as they did not pose any threat to the far more pressing dictates of colonialism."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 30)
- A Voyage to Toledo: Twenty-Five Years After the 'Jews of the Orient and Palestinians' Meeting
- Displaced Intentions
- When Your Name is on the Blacklist
- عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء"
- Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel
- Turkey’s New Migration Policy: Control Through Bureaucratization
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 22-28)
- El Rass
- Excavating the Sky
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 29)
- Propaganda, Politics, and Profiteering: Islamic Law in the Contemporary United States
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar
- Tadween Spotlight: Gaza
- Evden Emlaga Fikirtepe: Rant ve Spekulasyon Ekseninde Kentsel Donusum
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (August-September 2014)
- Syria Media Roundup (September 26)
- Emergency Humanitarian Appeals and Gaza’s On-going Destruction: The Case of Failed Accountability and Sustainability
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 25)
- Ghassan Salhab: Making of 'The Valley'
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
A Voyage to Toledo: Twenty-Five Years After the 'Jews of the Orient and Palestinians' Meeting http://t.co/DvoTs6z64p
12 hours ago
Displaced Intentions [A Review of "Write Down, I Am an Arab"] http://t.co/9koS9qYu4j
12 hours ago
When your Name is on the Blacklist http://t.co/hiIIn74mxM
17 hours ago
أمجد ناصر: عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء" http://t.co/7hvNhLA9WB
yesterday at 11:48 PM
Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel http://t.co/yWgpqqdOT8
yesterday at 11:52 AM