From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
On Wednesday, 22 March 2016, the University of California Board of Regents’ Educational Policy Committee voted unanimously to approve a working group’s recommendation for a set of “Principles Against Intolerance.” The twelve-page “Principles Against Intolerance” report and its controversial introduction were developed over several months by a working group of regents and University of California (UC) employees responding to claims of increased anti-semitism on UC campuses.
In particular, the report links anti-Semitism to opposition of Zionism. The report included a statement that read: “Anti-Semitism, anti-Zionism and other forms of discrimination have no place at the University of California.”
Dozens of UC students and faculty had opposed the propositions of the report. At the meeting, prominent scholar and UC-Berkeley professor Dr. Judith Butler told the regents that she was the daughter of Holocaust survivors and that “anti-Semitism is a despicable form of discrimination.” However, she said, UC should not conflate it with anti-Zionism, “a political viewpoint protected by the First Amendment.”
We spoke with Omar Zahzah, a Palestine organizer and a graduate student in Comparative Literature at UCLA, about the statement, the UC regents vote, and the implication of the resolution.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The video targets Israel's Citizenship Law, which prohibits Palestinian spouses (read: West Bank and Gaza) of Israeli citizens from gaining residency or citizenship in Israel - currently more than 30,000 people"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 26)
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey