From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on photography in and of the region and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Photography Page Editor or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each month’s roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org.]
History, Theory, Criticism
A Photo Exhibition About Israel and the West Hyperallergic presents a critique about the vision of the photo exhibit The Place.
Middle Eastern Photographers Capture Small Joys Amid Big Conflicts The New York Times takes a look at the work of Middle Eastern women photographers and how they go beyond cliché imagery to capture the many layers of identities for Middle Eastern women.
Beirut: The Golden Age in Pictures Alrifai presents a collection of historical photographs of Beirut from the 60s, when the city gained the name “the Paris of the Middle East.”
10 Questions for Photographer Tanya Habjouqa The Arts Desk presents an interview with photographer Tanya Habjouqa.
Meet the Female Kurdish Fighters Battling ISIL Al Jazeera In Pictures takes a look at a group of the YPJ launching operations against ISL in northern Syria to protect the Tishrin Dam, a major energy provider to Kobane.
Syria Civil War: New Beginnings in Kobane Al Jazeera In Pictures takes a look at Kobane as Syrians slowly begin to return to their home and rebuild.
Gaza Teenager Runs for Palestine Al Jazeera In Pictures presents the story of fifteen year old Inas Nofal, a Palestinian runner who aims to win international medals.
Thousands of Palestinians on Waiting List at Rafah Al Jazeera In Pictures presents a photo essay about the 30,000 Palestinians waiting to travel outside Gaza through the Rafah crossing to Egypt.
Gaza Rolls Out the Red Carpet Al Jazeera In Pictures presents a photos from the second annual Human Rights Film Festival in Gaza.
A Fresh Harvest for Farmer’s in Gaza Al Jazeera In Pictures takes a look at the International Committee of the Red Cross re-levelling 250 hectares of land and assisting farmers to tend the land.
Yazidi Girls Find Refuge in Photography The Daily Star presents an article about Yazidi women refugees learning photography as a means of expression and documentation for work.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
وعلى قدر ما أرى فإن هيمنة البرجوازية على المجال الديمقراطي الناشئ لن تكتب ليمين الوسط بل ليسار الوسط باعتباره الوحيد القادر على إيجاد نظام رأسمالي تنموي يحظى بشرعية شعبيةclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey