From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The below press release and petition were issued as part of the mobilzations to highlight Homa Hoodfar's detainment in Iran and call for her release]
Iran / London / Montreal (8 June 2016)
Revised 9 June 2016 for factual accuracy
For immediate release
CANADIAN PROFESSOR ARRESTED AND DETAINED IN IRAN’S EVIN PRISON
Dr Homa Hoodfar, a professor of anthropology at Concordia University in Montreal, was arrested and detained in Iran on 6 June 2016. This comes after the security forces of the Counter Intelligence Unit of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, invaded her home on 10 March 2016 shortly before Professor Hoodfar was to leave the country, and confiscated all her personal belongings, including her passports, research documents, and computer. She was then requested to provide a bail, and was prohibited from traveling out of the country. Subsequently she had been subjected to numerous lengthy and gruelling interrogations for the last three months.
On Monday 6 June Professor Hoodfar was arrested after yet another such interrogation without any indication of the reasons or charges for which they were detaining her. Her lawyer and family have not been allowed to see her, nor has the cause of arrest been explained to them. Furthermore, the authorities have refused to allow Professor Hoodfar's relatives and lawyer to provide her prescription medication for a rare neurological illness (Myasthenia Gravis) from which she suffers. At 65 years old, Professor Hoodfar’s health is of great concern to her family, especially because she suffered a mild stroke last year.
Professor Hoodfar was in Iran for a family visit and to conduct some historical and archival research on women's participation in public life. Her visit coincided with the elections in Iran, during which many new women candidates were elected to the parliament.
Professor Hoodfar is a renowned anthropologist and during the past four decades has been established as a major scholar of the role of women and the family in Muslim societies. Her family, friends, and colleagues are highly concerned about her fragile health. They are outraged by her treatment and hold the Iranian judicial authorities directly responsible for her health.
Professor Hoodfar holds Canadian, Iranian, and Irish citizenship. Her family and colleagues have demanded the rigorous intervention of these governments to bring about her immediate and unconditional release.
London: Katayoon Hoodfar (GMT + 1)
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 7729 123245
Montreal: Amanda Ghahremani (GMT – 8)
Amanda.email@example.com, +1 514 915 0920
Chicago: Kaveh Ehsani (GMT – 9)
firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 312 257 8894
A number of renowned academics, such as Professors Leila Ahmed, Noam Chomsky, and Richard Falk have signed on to a petition asking for the release of world-renowned anthropologist, Homa Hoodfar. Click here to access/sign.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The occupants of Gezi Park were not just carving a breathing space protected from the imperatives of capitalism, and repressive state apparatuses; they were also actively discovering other ways of co-producing space."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- حركة المقاطعة: مقابلة لبرنامج الوضع مع عمر برغوثي
- فهد سوريا - الجزء الثاني
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 27)
- Ussama Makdisi on The Invention of Sectarianism in the Modern Middle East
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 20-26)
- الترجمة في سياق المقاومة العامة للخراب: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع ثائر ديب
- فهد سوريا - الجزء الأول
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 26 فبراير
- The Precarity of Youth: Entrepreneurship is not the Solution
- Palestine Media Roundup (February 24)
- الغرب والسوريون: مبيعات الأسلحة الأمريكية والأوروبية للشرق الأوسط 2011- 2014
- Vote Yes on MESA Bylaw Amendment: Roundtable by Elyse Semerdjian, John Chalcraft, and Asli Bali
- Media on Media Roundup (February 21)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 21)
- دونالد ترامب والصراع في فلسطين
- خمس قصص قصيرة للكاتب الإسباني خوان خوسية مياس
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 19 فبراير
- Extensive Syria Media Roundup (Jan 8 - Feb 19, 2017)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 20)