From the Editors
AUDIO PLAYER BELOW
The fall of Qaddafi's Tripoli to Libyan rebels has raised a host of new questions and intensified existing debates about the nature and fate of the Libyan uprising. As the peaceful uprising in Libya shifted towards an open rebellion in the face of a violent response by Qaddafi's regime, various calls for intervention by the Libyan people mobilized and polarized world powers, solidarity activists, and everyday observers as to the nature and legitimacy of the Transitional National Council (TNC), the UN Security Council resolutions, and the NATO intervention. Khalil Bendib spoke to professors Ali Ahmida (New England University) and Gilbert Achcar (School of Oriental and African Studies), while Malihe Razazan spoke to Africa Correspondent David Smith (The Guardian). Some of the issues discussed include the build to up to the collapse of Qaddafi's hold on Tripoli as well as the tensions resulting from an indigenous movement against authoritarian rule calling on former colonial powers to intervene on its behalf.
This interview was conducted as part of KPFA's Voices in the Middle East and North Africa Show.
5 comments for "Interview with Ali Ahmida, Gilbert Achcar, and David Smith on Situation in Libya"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Said’s legacy is one that insists on the necessity of solidarity, and of linking up various forms of struggle. But it is also one that deepens our understanding of solidarity by noting that solidarity and criticism, sometimes taken to be opposites, are in fact closely linked...click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein