From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
In Berlin one can find traces of almost any culture in the world. Unprepared for the magnitude of diversity this one city had to offer, my time in Berlin forced me to question everything around me. Part of myself just couldn't find a way to belong. I was constantly searching for home: in words, people, and the districts I went to regularly.
Adaptation is a prime concern for youth everywhere. I left my home in Cairo for the first time ever in order to live in Berlin to finish my last semester at the German University in Cairo. I have to admit that I struggled. I struggled with crossing the street, greeting my neighbors, buying my own food. I even struggled with striking up small talk with strangers. I struggled because I grew up in a place that seemed to have a place for everyone. Where was my place in Berlin? How could a place so beautiful cause me so much agony? So I ventured out searching for home in a city that has long embraced people from all over the world.
“Cairo in Berlin” is a collection of photographs observing Middle Eastern and Arab traces in the cosmopolitan city of Berlin. Through this project viewers can see something of different Arab communities - homes away from home. The photos above record scenes across Berlin that held striking resemblances to places I am so familiar with back home in Cairo, such as Downtown, al-Korba, al-Sayyida Zeinab, among others.
Walking past these scenes, I was torn by the nostalgic feeling I had for a home to which I did not want to return.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Israeli citizenship and Jewish nationality, […] in accordance with the Law of Return, constitutes a form of property, since it legally legitimizes an expectation of the right to Palestinian land based on Jewish heritage.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey