From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following compilation and translations was created by Osha al-Mussalami and published on MiddleEastEye.net on 15 December 2016]
“One day we will return.” This is just one of the messages that have been left behind on the walls by the Syrians being evacuated out of the besieged city of Aleppo.
With convoys of ambulances and buses carrying out the evacuation, images have emerged on social media showing the farewell messages Syrians are leaving behind.
“We'll come back.”
Some left messages of hope that one day they will return back to their homes.
[Translation: (Tweet) We'll come back #Aleppo, we'll come back...you flower for the needy. (Photo) We'll come back home]
While others left more defiant messages.
Other messages likened Aleppo to a mother, and simply bid farewell.
[Translation: Goodbye mum.]
[Translation: (Tweet) We will return one day. When we grow up #Aleppo. (Photo) We will return one day.]
One Syrian graffitied a love note from besieged Aleppo to his girlfriend in Turkey.
Zouhir al-Shimale, a journalist in the city, said Syrian government buses had arrived in his area in the early hours of Thursday and were loading injured civilians on to them. Hours later, state TV said many had left rebel-held areas.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
During the discussion about the effects of climate change, Wright offered a simple suggestion for a slogan: “No more water, the fire next time.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
- دورنا في صناعة الظلام
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (January 23- March 5)
- Syria Media Roundup (March 15)