From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on photography in and of the region and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Photography Page Editor or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each month’s roundup to email@example.com.]
Journalism Workshop, a different perspective: writing on exile and migration. Mashallah News, Bapob, and Tabadol host a workshop for journalists 18-30 years old living in Lebanon, France, and Germany. Beirut workshop April 8-16.
Launch of fourth cycle of the Arab Documentary Photography Program. Call for proposals, deadline for applications is May 1.
History, Theory, Criticism
Review of Sidewalk Salon, 1001 Street Chairs of Cairo Mada Masr Panorama reviews Manar Moursi and David Puig’s photographic project Sidewalk Salon, a visual taxonomy of chairs and public space in Cairo.
A Photographer’s View of a Battle to Destroy ISIS The New Yorker Photo Booth presents a first person account of photographer Victor Blue’s time documenting an Iraqi police unit called the Mosul SWAT team, fighting to protect their city and seek vengeance for the murders of their families.
Telling the Stories of Egypt’s Endangered Journalists The New York Times Lens blog presents a first person account by photojournalist Mohammed Elshamy about his brother and other Egyptian colleagues stints in and out of prison while doing their work, a reality many Egyptian journalists face when covering Egypt.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Even with continued Israeli control of the Palestinian coast and airspace, Gaza’s trade with the rest of the world could be re-routed to transit through Egypt and Jordan."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Palestine Media Roundup (April 30)
- Between the World and Algeria: International Histories of the Algerian War of Independence
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Toward A Vocabulary for Syria’s Opposition
- ‘Optimism of the Intellect’? How to Stay Hopeful in the Wake of Turkey’s Referendum Results
- Making History in Iran: Education, Nationalism, and Print Culture
- New Texts Out Now: Behrooz Ghamari, Remembering Akbar: Inside the Iranian Revolution
- يم القاهرة
- Media on Media Roundup (April 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 17-23)
- Berkeley Event--6 Days, 50 Years: 1967 and the Politics of Time (28 April 2017)
- ما التنوير؟ غوغل، ويكيليكس، وإعادة تنظيم العالم
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 25)
- Turkey After the Referendum: A Roundtable
- Revisiting ‘Foucault in Iran’: A Response
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arab Studies Journal Announces Spring 2017 Issue: Editor's Note and Table of Contents
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 24)
- The Origins of the Lebanese National Idea, 1840-1920
- Syria Media Roundup (April 24)