From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on photography in and of the region and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Photography Page Editor or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each month’s roundup to email@example.com.]
Journalism Workshop, a different perspective: writing on exile and migration. Mashallah News, Bapob, and Tabadol host a workshop for journalists 18-30 years old living in Lebanon, France, and Germany. Beirut workshop April 8-16.
Launch of fourth cycle of the Arab Documentary Photography Program. Call for proposals, deadline for applications is May 1.
History, Theory, Criticism
Review of Sidewalk Salon, 1001 Street Chairs of Cairo Mada Masr Panorama reviews Manar Moursi and David Puig’s photographic project Sidewalk Salon, a visual taxonomy of chairs and public space in Cairo.
A Photographer’s View of a Battle to Destroy ISIS The New Yorker Photo Booth presents a first person account of photographer Victor Blue’s time documenting an Iraqi police unit called the Mosul SWAT team, fighting to protect their city and seek vengeance for the murders of their families.
Telling the Stories of Egypt’s Endangered Journalists The New York Times Lens blog presents a first person account by photojournalist Mohammed Elshamy about his brother and other Egyptian colleagues stints in and out of prison while doing their work, a reality many Egyptian journalists face when covering Egypt.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Brecht wrote once, "In the future, they will not say the times were dark. They will ask: Why were their poets silent?" Some poets were silent this spring, but many others weren't.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
- دورنا في صناعة الظلام
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (January 23- March 5)
- Syria Media Roundup (March 15)