From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
In this interview for STATUS/الوضع, host Julie Hakim Azzam speaks with Ozge Samanci about her difficult journey to actualize her dream to be an artist in her debut graphic novel, Dare to Disappoint: Growing up in Turkey.
Ozge Samanci is author of the debut graphic novel, Dare to Disappoint: Growing up in Turkey (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2015) and Assistant Professor in the Radio/Television/ Film department at Northwestern University's School of Communications. She has an extensive background in comics and media arts and is a published comics artist. Her interactive-digital media installations and other collaborative works have been exhibited in numerous venues internationally including SIGGRAPH, ISEA, Advances in Computer Entertainment (ACE), Tangible and Embedded Interaction (TEI), Tech Museum at San Jose, WRO Media Art Biennial, Athens International Festival of Digital Arts and New Media, Eyedrum Gallery, Evanston Art Center. Her analog installations and images have been exhibited at University of California Botanical Gardens, Art House Coop, Sycamore Place Gallery, Gallery KG52 in Stockholm, Armory Center for Arts, Worth Ryder Art Gallery and Arcade Gallery. Her areas of interest include interactive art, interactive narrative, interaction design, full-body interaction, comics and graphic novels, digital-interactive media theory, and location-based art. She authored the book Animasyonun Onlenemez Yukselisi (The Irresistible Rise of Animation), published by Istanbul Bilgi University Publications.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Just imagine, for instance, activists descending on Qalandia from all corners of Palestine to protest an end to the occupation.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Between the World and Algeria: International Histories of the Algerian War of Independence
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Toward A Vocabulary for Syria’s Opposition
- ‘Optimism of the Intellect’? How to Stay Hopeful in the Wake of Turkey’s Referendum Results
- Making History in Iran: Education, Nationalism, and Print Culture
- New Texts Out Now: Behrooz Ghamari, Remembering Akbar: Inside the Iranian Revolution
- يم القاهرة
- Media on Media Roundup (April 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 17-23)
- Berkeley Event--6 Days, 50 Years: 1967 and the Politics of Time (28 April 2017)
- ما التنوير؟ غوغل، ويكيليكس، وإعادة تنظيم العالم
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 25)
- Turkey After the Referendum: A Roundtable
- Revisiting ‘Foucault in Iran’: A Response
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arab Studies Journal Announces Spring 2017 Issue: Editor's Note and Table of Contents
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 24)
- The Origins of the Lebanese National Idea, 1840-1920
- Syria Media Roundup (April 24)
- Visualizing Campus Collective Action for Palestine Solidarity