From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[Updated with an interview by Al-Jazeera English with Hossam El-Hamalawy, below]
In a seeming repeat of an otherwise bygone era, today's military crackdown on demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square is a tangible reminder that the most delicate and strategic work for effecting a robust departure from the clutches of authoritarian rule is ahead of us. Protesters plan to persevere for a third day, demanding, among other matters, a swift transition from military to civilian rule. In an ironic twist, the response by SCAF (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) reinforces the demand's rationale.
In an understandably brief correspondence with Hossam El-Hamalawy from Cairo, he shared the following words and pictures from today's demonstrations and crackdowns [all pictures are taken by Hossam].
"It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now.. three friends have lost their eyes, and more in coma . . . the attack by the army is very brutal but the resistance is impressive. More soon."
[See video and Hossam's AJE interview at the bottom]
Below is a video update, showing that the demonstrations continuing through Sunday night, Cairo time, as well as a more recent interview with Hossam El-Hamalawy on AJE.
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed view here.
2 comments for ""It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now . . . ": Brief Words and Images from Hossam El-Hamalawi"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Migrant States, Mobile Economies: Rethinking the Political in Contemporary Turkey (GMU Event)
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 5)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 5)
- Netanyahu at the UN: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Interview by Al-Jazeera America
- A Portrait of Moustafa Fathi
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 28- October 4)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- De-dramatizing Algerian Politics
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (September 2015)
- مدن الحداثة
- Palestine Media Roundup (September 23– 30)
- The Palestine Exception to Free Speech: A Movement Under Attack in the US
- خمسة أسئلة عن التنوع البيبليوغرافي
- DARS Media Roundup (September 2015)
- LCPS Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Ziad Abu-Rish on Electricity in Early Independence Lebanon
- NPR's 'Here and Now' Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Rosie Bsheer About Redevelopment in Mecca
- Cities Media Roundup (September 2015)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 30)
- Exploring an Agenda for Active Citizenship: Selected Conference Presentations from STATUS/الوضع
- مهرجان واشنطن العاصمة للسينما والفنون الفلسطينية في دورته الخامسة