From the Editors
[Updated with an interview by Al-Jazeera English with Hossam El-Hamalawy, below]
In a seeming repeat of an otherwise bygone era, today's military crackdown on demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square is a tangible reminder that the most delicate and strategic work for effecting a robust departure from the clutches of authoritarian rule is ahead of us. Protesters plan to persevere for a third day, demanding, among other matters, a swift transition from military to civilian rule. In an ironic twist, the response by SCAF (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) reinforces the demand's rationale.
In an understandably brief correspondence with Hossam El-Hamalawy from Cairo, he shared the following words and pictures from today's demonstrations and crackdowns [all pictures are taken by Hossam].
"It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now.. three friends have lost their eyes, and more in coma . . . the attack by the army is very brutal but the resistance is impressive. More soon."
[See video and Hossam's AJE interview at the bottom]
Below is a video update, showing that the demonstrations continuing through Sunday night, Cairo time, as well as a more recent interview with Hossam El-Hamalawy on AJE.
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed view here.
2 comments for ""It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now . . . ": Brief Words and Images from Hossam El-Hamalawi"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Not all successful mediators are neutral, yet America’s seemingly limitless devotion to the colonizer against the colonized cries out for a counterweight.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- أوهام ليبرالية
- Tadween Roundup: News and Analysis from the Publishing/Academic World
- Syria Media Roundup (May 23)
- Asfari Institute Inaugural Conference: New Spaces of Civil Society Activism in the Arab World (Beirut, 23-24 May)
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family