From the Editors
[Updated with an interview by Al-Jazeera English with Hossam El-Hamalawy, below]
In a seeming repeat of an otherwise bygone era, today's military crackdown on demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square is a tangible reminder that the most delicate and strategic work for effecting a robust departure from the clutches of authoritarian rule is ahead of us. Protesters plan to persevere for a third day, demanding, among other matters, a swift transition from military to civilian rule. In an ironic twist, the response by SCAF (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) reinforces the demand's rationale.
In an understandably brief correspondence with Hossam El-Hamalawy from Cairo, he shared the following words and pictures from today's demonstrations and crackdowns [all pictures are taken by Hossam].
"It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now.. three friends have lost their eyes, and more in coma . . . the attack by the army is very brutal but the resistance is impressive. More soon."
[See video and Hossam's AJE interview at the bottom]
Below is a video update, showing that the demonstrations continuing through Sunday night, Cairo time, as well as a more recent interview with Hossam El-Hamalawy on AJE.
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed view here.
2 comments for ""It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now . . . ": Brief Words and Images from Hossam El-Hamalawi"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"In a Libya ruled by a government who owes its existence to the US-NATO bombardment of 2011, the US enters Libya unlawfully to snatch a Libyan citizen... a pattern of disregard for international law and the sovereignty of other states, including its allies."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- One Year after Raba'a: An Interview with Adam Sabra and Mona El Ghobashy
- Studio Visit with Doa Aly
- An Excerpt from Sinan Antoon's "Ave Maria"
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
One Year after Raba'a: An Interview with Adam Sabra and Mona El Ghobashy http://t.co/lzpLDG85wo
yesterday at 1:42 PM
Studio Visit with Doa Aly http://t.co/yibmG5EPvi
yesterday at 7:36 AM
BBC News - Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' http://t.co/64At4wsbe9
yesterday at 4:21 AM
BBC News - Gaza crisis: Israel kills three top Hamas commanders http://t.co/yO9tW6AABS
on Thursday 21 August at 07:05 AM
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
on Wednesday 20 August at 10:45 AM