From the Editors
[Updated with an interview by Al-Jazeera English with Hossam El-Hamalawy, below]
In a seeming repeat of an otherwise bygone era, today's military crackdown on demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square is a tangible reminder that the most delicate and strategic work for effecting a robust departure from the clutches of authoritarian rule is ahead of us. Protesters plan to persevere for a third day, demanding, among other matters, a swift transition from military to civilian rule. In an ironic twist, the response by SCAF (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) reinforces the demand's rationale.
In an understandably brief correspondence with Hossam El-Hamalawy from Cairo, he shared the following words and pictures from today's demonstrations and crackdowns [all pictures are taken by Hossam].
"It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now.. three friends have lost their eyes, and more in coma . . . the attack by the army is very brutal but the resistance is impressive. More soon."
[See video and Hossam's AJE interview at the bottom]
Below is a video update, showing that the demonstrations continuing through Sunday night, Cairo time, as well as a more recent interview with Hossam El-Hamalawy on AJE.
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed view here.
2 comments for ""It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now . . . ": Brief Words and Images from Hossam El-Hamalawi"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
علاقة علماء الدين بالسلطة في التاريخ الإسلامي علاقة معقدة، وإن كانت تميل في أغلب الأحيان، خاصة بعد القرن الخامس هجري/الحادي عشر ميلادي، إلى التواطؤ والاستزلامclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- "A Slaughter of Innocents": Democracy Now! Interview with American Jewish Leader Henry Siegman
- A Teenager Contemplates Life and War in the Gaza Strip
- The Other Israelis
- Seam Zones, Security Zones, Death Zones, and Walls
- The Economic Challenges of the Gaza War: Relief and Reconstruction but No Palestinian Development
- Zionism, BDS, and American Muslim Leadership
- Iranian Intellectuals, Artists and Social Activists' Statement on the Recent Conflict in Palestine
- Racism is the Foundation of Israel's Operation Protective Edge
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- CNN Discusses the Palestinian Perspective with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani
- New Texts Out Now: Muriam Haleh Davis, The Afterlives of the Algerian Revolution
- Once Again on Caesarism: Continuing the Debate with Joel Beinin
- Malak Helmy: Lost Referents of Some Attraction
- The FBI’s War on Fake Terrorism
- فصل من رواية نوكيا
- A City-Sized Prison-House
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 29)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 29)
- Cities Media Roundup (July 1-28)
- Isolating Gaza
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
"A Slaughter of Innocents": Democracy Now! Interview with American Jewish Leader Henry Siegman http://t.co/EFDdRvzxI4
16 hours ago
A Teenager Contemplates Life and War in the Gaza Strip http://t.co/hHmIGpXnlP
16 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Muriam Haleh Davis, The Afterlives of the Algerian Revolution http://t.co/QZshLc17Yd
18 hours ago
The Other Israelis http://t.co/BGlSU25ihn
19 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Muriam Haleh Davis, The Afterlives of the Algerian Revolution http://t.co/GpIIhkcjXl
19 hours ago