From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[Updated with an interview by Al-Jazeera English with Hossam El-Hamalawy, below]
In a seeming repeat of an otherwise bygone era, today's military crackdown on demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square is a tangible reminder that the most delicate and strategic work for effecting a robust departure from the clutches of authoritarian rule is ahead of us. Protesters plan to persevere for a third day, demanding, among other matters, a swift transition from military to civilian rule. In an ironic twist, the response by SCAF (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) reinforces the demand's rationale.
In an understandably brief correspondence with Hossam El-Hamalawy from Cairo, he shared the following words and pictures from today's demonstrations and crackdowns [all pictures are taken by Hossam].
"It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now.. three friends have lost their eyes, and more in coma . . . the attack by the army is very brutal but the resistance is impressive. More soon."
[See video and Hossam's AJE interview at the bottom]
Below is a video update, showing that the demonstrations continuing through Sunday night, Cairo time, as well as a more recent interview with Hossam El-Hamalawy on AJE.
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed view here.
2 comments for ""It's an intifada a la 25 Jan now . . . ": Brief Words and Images from Hossam El-Hamalawi"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Why was a Supreme Court judge, who happened to be Arab, not allowed the liberal privilege of being “tolerated” for his silence? And why was he denied his democratic right to non-participation and silent expression?click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- The Left and the Syria Debate
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 8 كانون الاول
- Reflections on Authoring the Chapter on Young Women for the 2016 Arab Human Development Report
- Palestine Media Roundup (December 9)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Yasser Munif on the State of the Syrian Uprising
- Media on Media Roundup (December 6)
- الناصرة المدينة الباقية
- DARS Media Roundup (November 2016)
- Aleppo: Impending Battle [Ongoing Post]
- Fatah: The Disintegration Continues
- Quick Thoughts: Elyse Semerdjian on Standing Rock
- Video: Israel's Use of Force and the Palestinian Right to Armed Resistance
- New Texts Out Now: Syrie, anatomie d’une guerre civile
- Syria Media Roundup (December 5)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 28- December 4)
- Egypt Media Roundup (December 5)
- قصائد للشَّاعر الإيطالي مارينو مُورِتِّي
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (November 2016)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 1 كانون الاول