From the Editors
Making Sense of Developments in Egypt and Syria: A KPFA Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editors Hesham Sallam and Bassam Haddad
In his interview, Hesham Sallam (between the two minute mark and the thirty-four minute mark) highlights what these protests are about, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces's (SCAF) brutal response, and how the uprising is not a limited protest or occupation, but rather the potential start of a national mass uprising. He specifically discusses the ways in which statement and speechs by the SCAF are designed less to respond to the demands of the protesters and more to sway Egyptian and international public opinion in the face of a brutal violent response to protesters, including unconfirmed reports of the use of a type of tear gas banned by the international Chemical Weapons Conventions.
For his part, Bassam Haddad (between the thirty-seven minute mark and the sixty minute mark) highlights the different strands of the domestic Syrian opposition. He specificaly discusses the challenges to formalizing the opposition inside of Syria as compared to outside, as well as the dynamics of military defections and their assumed relationship to the Free Syrian Army. He ends his discussion with an assessment of commonalities and dififerences across the various forces that make up the domestic opposition, as well as the potential for foreign intervention.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"CCI poses important questions about what makes movements and practices “Islamic,” and critically deconstructs the notion of an eternal, unchanging religion."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein