From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Making Sense of Developments in Egypt and Syria: A KPFA Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editors Hesham Sallam and Bassam Haddad
In his interview, Hesham Sallam (between the two minute mark and the thirty-four minute mark) highlights what these protests are about, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces's (SCAF) brutal response, and how the uprising is not a limited protest or occupation, but rather the potential start of a national mass uprising. He specifically discusses the ways in which statement and speechs by the SCAF are designed less to respond to the demands of the protesters and more to sway Egyptian and international public opinion in the face of a brutal violent response to protesters, including unconfirmed reports of the use of a type of tear gas banned by the international Chemical Weapons Conventions.
For his part, Bassam Haddad (between the thirty-seven minute mark and the sixty minute mark) highlights the different strands of the domestic Syrian opposition. He specificaly discusses the challenges to formalizing the opposition inside of Syria as compared to outside, as well as the dynamics of military defections and their assumed relationship to the Free Syrian Army. He ends his discussion with an assessment of commonalities and dififerences across the various forces that make up the domestic opposition, as well as the potential for foreign intervention.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
It should thus come as no surprise that the 9,400 Israeli settlers living in the Jordan Valley consume more than six times the quantity of water consumed by the more than 56,000 Palestinians in the area.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey