From the Editors
The Supreme Administrative Court upheld a verdict that orders the cancellation of the parliamentary elections’ first round in El-Sahel district, Cairo.
The Supreme Administrative Court upheld on Monday a verdict that orders the cancelation of the parliamentary elections’ first round in El-Sahel district, Cairo, due to major violations.
Fifteen ballot boxes were missing while 75 more damaged, and thus the results do not reflect the will of the voters, according to the Supreme Administrative Court’s final judgment.
The verdict was returned yesterday after some candidates filed 27 complaints against the violations that took place in El-Sahel.
Candidates’ supporters intensively crowded in El-Sahel’s polling stations in the first round, which enabled some forgers to mess with the ballot boxes.
The elections’ first round, which took place on 28 and 29 November, are now to be repeated in the rundown district as the ruling is final and cannot be appealed against.
Previously, the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) had appealed against the verdict, which was also rejected by the Supreme Committee for Elections as well.
The verdict means the ongoing runoffs of the first round in El-Sahel will be halted too.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 26)
- الخطر السياسي القادم ما بعد العدوان على غزة
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد شكري
- Syria Media Roundup (August 15)
- Antisemitism and Salaita
- Israel's "Operation Status Quo": A Preliminary Assessment
- Who Are the Insurgents and Counterinsurgents?
- Support for Steven Salaita and the UIUC Boycott Continues to Grow
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 18-24)
- لا تقصص رؤياك
- Badr Shakir Al-Sayyab: A Profile from the Archives
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 August)
- منام الطفل السنجاريّ
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: Overheard guards saying they are going to deport me. They keep saying I am not a citizen, but won't show me any docume…
yesterday at 8:17 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm denied entry. I'm starting a water-only hunger strike. I won't voluntarily leave. My only demand is to be let into…
yesterday at 8:16 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm being detained in airport. Telling me I don't have Bahraini citizenship. I'm asking for proof.
yesterday at 8:16 PM
Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam Alkhawaja http://t.co/k5VUAS3Mlr
yesterday at 7:48 PM
Open Letter on Gaza and BDS from the Middle East Caucus of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies http://t.co/OMwnsGTx7u
yesterday at 12:24 PM