From the Editors
Eyewitnesses say the military and plain-clothed men beat protesters and medics while clearing Tahrir Square; Video shows Egyptian security forces attacking protesters.
Activists are tweeting and describing details of a major attack by the army on protesters in Tahrir Square is underway.
Bel Trew, a journalist, told Ahram Online from the scene of Tahrir Square that security forces attacked protesters with batons. She heard what sounded to her like gunshots but did not see guns.
According to Trew, the military stormed the square and took over Tahrir chasing protesters down to Abd El-Monem Riad, Talaat Harb Square and Qasr El-Nil Bridge. Currently Tahrir is blocked by the military and no cars are able to pass through the square.
Trew added that the military were guided by plain-clothed men assisting them to beat up protesters. Paramedics were also assaulted by the military as they were evacuating a field hospital near the Omar Makram Mosque.
Salma Said, a rights activist, tweets that army personnel have forced ambulances away from the field hospital in Omar Makram Mosque.
Protester told CBC TV that army electrocuted him and confiscated his camera.
Lina Megahed, an activist, tweets that army has attacked protesters and that she is hiding in the Sadat (Tahrir Square) metro station unable to escape the area.
Sources told Ahram Online that military personnel have entered an apartment in a building that overlooks the square and confiscated cameras.
A building belonging to the Ministry of Transportation located right next to Parliament and Cabinet buildings, which has been burning since Friday night had completely caught fire earlier Saturday.
Several young protesters can be seen in video footage aired by Al-Jazeera Mubasher Misr trying to put out the fire.
A video shot by a resident of the area captures the tense moments in the Square:
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"... breaking from the chains of subjugation means undermining the historico-racial schema by challenging the white mythos created by the law and sustained by the self, including the carefully crafted legal fictions of the separateness of Jerusalemites/Bedouin/Arab-Israelis/West Bankers/Gazans/refugees. By doing so, they will be better placed to effect free agency in the schematization of the colonial world they inhabit.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On the Margins Roundup (September)
- New Texts Out Now: Abdullah Al-Arian, Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat’s Egypt
- Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul: Un urbanisme spéculatif, ségrégatif et durable
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014)
- Cities Media Roundup (September 1-30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 30)
- A Voyage to Toledo: Twenty-Five Years After the 'Jews of the Orient and Palestinians' Meeting
- Displaced Intentions
- When Your Name is on the Blacklist
- عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء"
- Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel
- Turkey’s New Migration Policy: Control Through Bureaucratization
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 22-28)
- El Rass
- Excavating the Sky
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 29)
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar
- Tadween Spotlight: Gaza
- Evden Emlaga Fikirtepe: Rant ve Spekulasyon Ekseninde Kentsel Donusum
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Statement by Jewish Studies Professors Regarding 'Deplorable' Amcha Initiative http://t.co/2eEW1QeGAA
yesterday at 9:02 AM
Jadaliyya's Top 50 of All Time http://t.co/mdnFJqWqM2
yesterday at 8:35 AM
Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul http://t.co/7TCOtNabQC
yesterday at 8:21 AM
Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions http://t.co/d5GNce4597
yesterday at 8:10 AM
Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014) http://t.co/lVuyHprzP6
yesterday at 8:05 AM