From the Editors
Eyewitnesses say the military and plain-clothed men beat protesters and medics while clearing Tahrir Square; Video shows Egyptian security forces attacking protesters.
Activists are tweeting and describing details of a major attack by the army on protesters in Tahrir Square is underway.
Bel Trew, a journalist, told Ahram Online from the scene of Tahrir Square that security forces attacked protesters with batons. She heard what sounded to her like gunshots but did not see guns.
According to Trew, the military stormed the square and took over Tahrir chasing protesters down to Abd El-Monem Riad, Talaat Harb Square and Qasr El-Nil Bridge. Currently Tahrir is blocked by the military and no cars are able to pass through the square.
Trew added that the military were guided by plain-clothed men assisting them to beat up protesters. Paramedics were also assaulted by the military as they were evacuating a field hospital near the Omar Makram Mosque.
Salma Said, a rights activist, tweets that army personnel have forced ambulances away from the field hospital in Omar Makram Mosque.
Protester told CBC TV that army electrocuted him and confiscated his camera.
Lina Megahed, an activist, tweets that army has attacked protesters and that she is hiding in the Sadat (Tahrir Square) metro station unable to escape the area.
Sources told Ahram Online that military personnel have entered an apartment in a building that overlooks the square and confiscated cameras.
A building belonging to the Ministry of Transportation located right next to Parliament and Cabinet buildings, which has been burning since Friday night had completely caught fire earlier Saturday.
Several young protesters can be seen in video footage aired by Al-Jazeera Mubasher Misr trying to put out the fire.
A video shot by a resident of the area captures the tense moments in the Square:
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"With witty political commentary and folk-ish oud melodies, Egyptian musician Yasser El Manawahly channels the spirit of Sheikh Imam into the contemporary political and social issues of Egypt... taking on the idea that of the IMF as Egypt’s great savior in a satirical manner."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة
- Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 28)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 21-27)
- Reporter Jon Snow on Gaza's Children: Misery and Responsibility
- The Informants: Manufacturing Terror
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 26)
- عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة http://t.co/nwKVMCzShL
14 hours ago
The Informants: Manufacturing Terror http://t.co/MJSVACBKid
18 hours ago
Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive http://t.co/6lbv9eqcLo
19 hours ago
CFP: Medinas in the 20th & 21th Centuries (Algiers, February 2015) http://t.co/ps2PeNA2UL
19 hours ago
Egypt Media Roundup (July 28) http://t.co/Y5XvDwhouY
20 hours ago