From the Editors
The statement of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) over the clampdown on protesters at the Cabinet building in downtown cairo has enraged the families of martyrs and several political forces, who released a joint statement denouncing “the military’s lies”.
The army’s attempt to disperse a sit-in in front of the Cabinet headquarters on Qasr El-Aini street early Friday, a short distance away from Tahrir square, left ten dead and hundreds injured, according to the Ministry of Health.
Thousands of protesters consequently flocked to the street, engaging in consistent clashes with the army, who moved back and forth either side of a wall they built to contain the angry demonstrators.
SCAF said in a brief statement that it had the right to defend public properties, describing the latest incident as a “plot targeting Egypt”. It also published a video on YouTube showing young men demolishing the wall of the Cabinet headquarters.
The nearby Scientific Centre, which contains 200-year-old maps and historical manuscripts, was set on fire amid the clashes.
A handful of political forces, including 6 April Movement, Kefaya Movement and the Revolution Youth Coalition, as well as the fathers of two martyrs, hit out at SCAF.
“The lies of SCAF are very clear. They were the ones who ignited the problem after abducting one of the protesters and hitting him before attacking the rest of those who were staging a sit in,” they said in a joint statement.
“They set all tents on fire and their assaults continued until twelve were killed and around 5000 were injured.
“The youth managed to save some computers and documents in the burnt building and handed them to the army. All those incidents cannot be compared to the actions of the army who undressed women and checked their virginity.
“We are holding (SCAF head) Mohamed Hussein Tantawi responsible for all that,” the statement added.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"My mother slapped us on our hands and said, “These are not your oranges, your oranges are in Palestine”."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children? http://t.co/tSr67a2qPx
11 hours ago
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour http://t.co/pKPwko1thr
12 hours ago
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour http://t.co/Mni3VlCoR8
yesterday at 10:36 PM
RT @4Bassam: US Tax-Payer Dollars at work: BBC News - Gaza UN school shelter hit, 'killing 15' http://t.co/11292FCHFX
yesterday at 12:07 PM
Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza http://t.co/oo9MztEZEr
yesterday at 9:34 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children?
- Press Release: From Tel Aviv to Toronto, Los Angeles to London, Chicago to San Francisco, Jews Say No to Israeli Genocide
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre