From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Martin Chulov has been the Baghdad correspondent for the Guardian of London. He has been covering the Middle East since 2005.
In this interview, Chulov discusses the situation on the ground in Iraq as the last of the American soldiers complete their withdrawal. The end of the war leaves a country with a tense atmosphere, a fearful populace, and barely-functioning state institutions.
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's agenda is uncertain, and his recent issuance of an arrest warrant for Vice President Tariq al-Hashmi on terrorism accusations has outraged many Sunnis and risks fanning the flames of sectarian tensions. Chulov offers a stark assessment of the challenges that the country faces in the months and years ahead.
[Developed in partnership between VOMENA and Jadaliyya]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"In this sense, the Mubarak trial mirrors a contradiction defining the wider political scene in Egypt since January."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- IMEU Interview: The Iran Nuclear Agreement and the Question of Palestine
- Snapshot: Palestinian Olive Trees
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- Quick Thoughts: April Longley Alley on the Yemen Conflict
- Has Amnesty International Lost Its Way? A Forensic Analysis of Amnesty’s Reports on Operation Protective Edge (Part 2)
- Sinai: War in a Distant Province
- A Shift in Turkey's Foreign Policy? An Interview with Osman Shahin
- Cities Media Roundup (July 2015)
- New Texts Out Now: Raymond Hinnebusch, From Arab Spring to Arab Winter: Explaining the Limits of Post-Uprising Democratization
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 28)
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 27)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 20-26)
- Daoud’s Camus Fanfiction Is More of the Same
- تدمر، واحة للظلام
- Gay Hanging in Iran: Atrocities and Impersonations
- Quick Thoughts: John Reynolds on Recent Amendments to the Israeli Penal Code
- لا بشرٌ ولاحجر... تدمر وسرديات الحرب على الآثار
- Boycotting Israeli Academic Institutions: Advice for Anthropologists
- خلافـــــة الرئيـــس