From the Editors
Martin Chulov has been the Baghdad correspondent for the Guardian of London. He has been covering the Middle East since 2005.
In this interview, Chulov discusses the situation on the ground in Iraq as the last of the American soldiers complete their withdrawal. The end of the war leaves a country with a tense atmosphere, a fearful populace, and barely-functioning state institutions.
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's agenda is uncertain, and his recent issuance of an arrest warrant for Vice President Tariq al-Hashmi on terrorism accusations has outraged many Sunnis and risks fanning the flames of sectarian tensions. Chulov offers a stark assessment of the challenges that the country faces in the months and years ahead.
[Developed in partnership between VOMENA and Jadaliyya]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
During the discussion about the effects of climate change, Wright offered a simple suggestion for a slogan: “No more water, the fire next time.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Court Suspends Mahienour El-Massry's Sentence, Orders Release
- Muhammad Abduh: A Profile from the Archives
- Iraq: A State or Militias?
- Progressive Struggles against Insidious Capitalist Individualism: Interview with Angela Davis
- Syria Media Roundup (September 20)
- DARS Media Roundup (September 20)
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Syria Media Roundup (September 20) http://t.co/W9IMQZlMej
14 hours ago
Court Suspends Mahienour El-Massry's Sentence, Orders Release http://t.co/Dk8heuWV93
16 hours ago
Muhammad Abduh: A Profile from the Archives http://t.co/pQ0Z5PIBpf
17 hours ago
Open Letter to the Brooklyn Book Festival re Israeli Sponsorship http://t.co/miM7l4thpO
17 hours ago
Iraq: A State or Militias? http://t.co/WuQiX6DHxe
18 hours ago