From the Editors
This is an interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Sinan Antoon on the Brian Lehrer Show (WNYC).
“Closure” is a very productive trope in political and other narratives. It drowns out all other voices (preferably with applause), produces silence and draws a fictitious end. The curtain is drawn and the crowd’s already brief attention is refocused on another spectacle on another screen.
The war in Iraq is over. The flag is down and the boys are back home. “We” tried to help those wretched Iraqis, but it was all just too messy (Sunnis, Shi`ites, Iran. . .etc). Mistakes were made along the way. Now, Iraqis will have to fend for themselves.
This narrative, with a few variations, is parroted by the mainstream chorus. It obfuscates the tragic reality that is Iraq and absolves the authors of the tragedy of any responsibility. For Iraqis, however, there is no end and no closure. It is precisely at these moments of orchestrated closure and false endings that we have to begin, again, to pose questions and resist collective amnesia.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
لأكثر من أربعين عاما ً، عاش زهاء العشرة ملايين شخص بين نهر الأردن والبحر الأبيض المتوسط في ظل نظام ينتهج سياسة الفصل العنصريclick | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي
- ما هي النكبة؟
- Academic Freedom and the Middle East: A Handbook for Teaching and Research
- Syria's Inglorious Basterd