From the Editors
Egypt’s ruling military, the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF), apologises to “great Egyptian women” .
SCAF has issued an apology on Wednesday after a woman was stripped and brutally beaten when the army tried to disperse a sit-in in Tahrir on Saturday.
“The army council deeply apologises to the great Egyptian women following what happened during the latest demonstrations in front of the cabinet and the People's Assembly,” SCAF, which came in for fierce criticism lately, said in its 91st communiqué.
“We would like to stress on our full respect for Egyptian women and their rights to demonstrate and participate in the political life.
“All measures have been taken to hold the culprits to account,” it added in an attempt to defuse growing frustration among women, thousands of whom took part in a march on Wednesday to protest against SCAF.
Several army soldiers were videoed violently beating a woman, who was not identified, to the ground before kicking and stamping on her chest, stripping here in the process.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
إتهم المتحدث بإسم الإخوان المسلمين عصام العريان المتظاهرين الفئويين بتقويض الإجماع الوطني وأبدى "تفهما ً" إزاء وجهة نظر الجيشclick | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein