From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
One Egyptian news paper wrote “Many Egyptians pass this building every day on their way to work and they take great pride in it. And on Saturday, December 17th that very special building, The Institut d'Égypte became the latest causality of the ongoing military attack on the revolutionary protesters.
Malihe Razazan spoke with professor Paul Sedra about the significance The Institut d'Égypte, one of the finest cultural hertiage buildings in the world On Saturday, It was burned to the ground destroying 200,000 rare and irreplacalbe historical books and manuscripts. [Arash Ehya, an intern with Voices of the Middle East and North Afirca, contributed to this segment.]
Institut d'Egypte before fire (Photo: Victor Battagion)
Institut d'Egypte after fire broke out (Photo: Mohamed Omar, European Pressphoto)
Interior of Institut before fire (Photo: Victor Battaggion)
Egyptian book restorer observes rubble (Photo: Muhammed Abed, AFP/Getty Images)
Volunteers gather burnt manuscripts and books (Photo: Amr Nabil, AP)
Destroyed page from Description L'Egypte (Photo: Amr Abdallah Dalsh, Reuters)
Civilian collects debris (Photo: Khaled Desouki, AFP/Getty Images)
Books laid out for eventual restoration (Photo: Muhammed Abed, AFP/Getty Images)
Protester at the Institut (Photo: Mohammed Hossam, AP)
Interior of Institut d'Egypte after fire (Photo: Muhammed Abed, AFP/Getty Images)
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Israeli authorities have uprooted over 800,000 Palestinian olive trees since 1967, the equivalent to razing all of the 24,000 trees in New York's central park 33 times."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Turkey Media Roundup (September 1)
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: A Conversation with Ahmed Marzouki, Former Tazmamart Detainee
- The Moroccan Non-Exception: Roundtable Introduction
- Syria Media Roundup (August 31)
- Trade Unions and Dictatorship in Egypt
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 31)
- Turkey’s Three-Front War?
- ستاتوس\ الوضع: صدور العدد 2.2
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 24-30)
- Cities Media Roundup (August 2015)
- Israel’s Defeat on the Iran Deal
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World