From the Editors
Kazeboon initiatives to screen footage of violations by security forces and the army against protesters gains momentum, and is met with resistance from the military rulers and its supporters.
Two different screenings, spearheaded by Kazeboon, of footage showing brutality by security forces against protesters were attacked in Alexandria and the up-market Cairo district of Zamalek in Cairo on Thursday evening,
Kazeboon (Liars), a grassroots Initiative, which uses public spaces and squares in order to show footage exposing the violations by security forces, was recently launched by a group of activists.
The initiative takes its name from a recent front page headline of the daily Tahrir newspaper featuring the now iconic picture of a woman being stripped and beaten by military police in Tahrir Square two weeks ago, alongside the word “Liars".
One of the screenings on Thursday evening in Zamalek was attacked by supporters of the ruling military council. Organisers and viewers responded by starting a march through the upper middle class neighbourhood, which is unaccustomed to protests. Some of the organisers had received threats by email from some Zamalek residents prior to the screening.
On the same evening, a screening in El Mansheya, Alexandria was also attacked by security forces. Four activists were detained, and then released later in the evening.
Screenings were also held in the Cairo districts of Maadi, Nasr City, and Giza on Thursday.
Kazeboon will hold another public screening on Friday in the district of Sayeda Zeinab, Cairo, where officers accused of killing protesters during the eighteen-day uprising were acquitted on Thursday, in solidarity with the families of martyrs.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 12)
- The Question of Judeo/Arabic(s): Itineraries of Belonging [Lecture at GMU]
- Syria Media Roundup (September 13)
- Announcing the New Issue of Middle East Report -- Fuel and Water: The Coming Crises
- The University of Illinois Board of Trustees Votes against Reinstating Professor Salaita
- Behind the Bahraini Revolution: An Interview with Maryam Al-Khawaja
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
where #media and #politics intersect: a conversation on #newmedia and #leftpolitics http://t.co/cHuE8Odpgk
13 hours ago
on the subversive, talented, alluring Yasmin Hamdan #music #art #arab http://t.co/BNrTbLErLB
13 hours ago
how to defend #palestine activists? @Nadine Naber interviews Dima Khalidi http://t.co/LwyApj1Hqd
13 hours ago
RT @ctekay: @4noura the Palestinian unity government is ineffective, unable to resist campaign, the PA is dependent on the US @jadaliyya
14 hours ago
RT @ctekay: @4noura showing Israel's "maximum number of Palestinians on minimum amount of land" policy on the map @jadaliyya http://t.co/UC…
14 hours ago