From the Editors
Kazeboon initiatives to screen footage of violations by security forces and the army against protesters gains momentum, and is met with resistance from the military rulers and its supporters.
Two different screenings, spearheaded by Kazeboon, of footage showing brutality by security forces against protesters were attacked in Alexandria and the up-market Cairo district of Zamalek in Cairo on Thursday evening,
Kazeboon (Liars), a grassroots Initiative, which uses public spaces and squares in order to show footage exposing the violations by security forces, was recently launched by a group of activists.
The initiative takes its name from a recent front page headline of the daily Tahrir newspaper featuring the now iconic picture of a woman being stripped and beaten by military police in Tahrir Square two weeks ago, alongside the word “Liars".
One of the screenings on Thursday evening in Zamalek was attacked by supporters of the ruling military council. Organisers and viewers responded by starting a march through the upper middle class neighbourhood, which is unaccustomed to protests. Some of the organisers had received threats by email from some Zamalek residents prior to the screening.
On the same evening, a screening in El Mansheya, Alexandria was also attacked by security forces. Four activists were detained, and then released later in the evening.
Screenings were also held in the Cairo districts of Maadi, Nasr City, and Giza on Thursday.
Kazeboon will hold another public screening on Friday in the district of Sayeda Zeinab, Cairo, where officers accused of killing protesters during the eighteen-day uprising were acquitted on Thursday, in solidarity with the families of martyrs.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed here.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
The hybrid approach does not appear to be a formula for effective governance, but may instead be a structural defect that will continue to foster the kind of political chaos for which Kuwait is increasingly known.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Israel Mows the Lawn http://t.co/O92TjmlgzT
10 hours ago
حمزة عليوي:" نون"...حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق http://t.co/SVCdPbXumP
11 hours ago
Petition: Nobel Peace Laureates and Celebrities Call for Military Embargo on Israel http://t.co/4c5ZHR1X0e
yesterday at 5:05 PM
Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes http://t.co/M9Eb51FoZf
yesterday at 9:44 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (July 21) http://t.co/ZQPmjHhX4f
yesterday at 8:19 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein
- الاقتصاد الأخلاقي للاستعمار الاستيطاني: إسرائيل و"الصدمة النفسية للإخلاء"