From the Editors
Minister of Interior Mansour El-Eissawy sued former syndicate head and columnist Galal Aref for “insulting police” in his daily column in the Akhbar newspaper of 27 November. The minister has also called for the writer’s imprisonment.
Two weeks earlier, El-Eissawy also sued Akhbar journalist Ahmed Taha Al-Naqr as well as the paper’s chairman of the board for an article run on 27 November in which the former wrote that the current police force should be replaced by another which respects law and human rights.
In both complaints, El-Eissawy accused the writers of insulting the police and publishing lies aimed at undermining security and spread fear amongst the people. The interior minister demanded that the two journalists face the highest level of punishment, including imprisonment and a fine. He also demanded that the paper’s chairman be fined LE10,000 ($1,657).
[Produced in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed here.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- One Year after Raba'a: An Interview with Adam Sabra and Mona El Ghobashy
- Studio Visit with Doa Aly
- An Excerpt from Sinan Antoon's "Ave Maria"
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
One Year after Raba'a: An Interview with Adam Sabra and Mona El Ghobashy http://t.co/lzpLDG85wo
yesterday at 1:42 PM
Studio Visit with Doa Aly http://t.co/yibmG5EPvi
yesterday at 7:36 AM
BBC News - Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' http://t.co/64At4wsbe9
yesterday at 4:21 AM
BBC News - Gaza crisis: Israel kills three top Hamas commanders http://t.co/yO9tW6AABS
on Thursday 21 August at 07:05 AM
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
on Wednesday 20 August at 10:45 AM