From the Editors
Minister of Interior Mansour El-Eissawy sued former syndicate head and columnist Galal Aref for “insulting police” in his daily column in the Akhbar newspaper of 27 November. The minister has also called for the writer’s imprisonment.
Two weeks earlier, El-Eissawy also sued Akhbar journalist Ahmed Taha Al-Naqr as well as the paper’s chairman of the board for an article run on 27 November in which the former wrote that the current police force should be replaced by another which respects law and human rights.
In both complaints, El-Eissawy accused the writers of insulting the police and publishing lies aimed at undermining security and spread fear amongst the people. The interior minister demanded that the two journalists face the highest level of punishment, including imprisonment and a fine. He also demanded that the paper’s chairman be fined LE10,000 ($1,657).
[Produced in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"In this transnational, cosmopolitan, and neoliberal environment, the compartmentalization of foreign matter –people, practices, and ideas– is fundamentally an assertion of cultural sovereignty over the domain punctuated by these exceptional spaces."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut http://t.co/qWkYjpnv73
14 hours ago
Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World http://t.co/hYEOUmJrSx
17 hours ago
Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza http://t.co/XjZgCbg7Yf
17 hours ago
Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza http://t.co/uHOsoOJIUA
20 hours ago
Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20) http://t.co/mwBrIekKOl
yesterday at 3:16 PM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel