From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Minister of Interior Mansour El-Eissawy sued former syndicate head and columnist Galal Aref for “insulting police” in his daily column in the Akhbar newspaper of 27 November. The minister has also called for the writer’s imprisonment.
Two weeks earlier, El-Eissawy also sued Akhbar journalist Ahmed Taha Al-Naqr as well as the paper’s chairman of the board for an article run on 27 November in which the former wrote that the current police force should be replaced by another which respects law and human rights.
In both complaints, El-Eissawy accused the writers of insulting the police and publishing lies aimed at undermining security and spread fear amongst the people. The interior minister demanded that the two journalists face the highest level of punishment, including imprisonment and a fine. He also demanded that the paper’s chairman be fined LE10,000 ($1,657).
[Produced in partnership with Ahram Online.]
From Jadaliyya Editors:
For more on Egypt Elections Watch (EEW) entries by category, click on the following links:
(1) Parties and Movements
(2) Actors and Figures
(3) Laws and Processes
To view all entries on one page, click on Egypt Elections Watch, and for EEW team members click here. Our Egypt Page can always be accessed here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
During the discussion about the effects of climate change, Wright offered a simple suggestion for a slogan: “No more water, the fire next time.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قل انتهاكات الحقوق الاقتصادية ولا تقل جرائم الفساد
- 14 منظمة حقوقية مستقلة تنتقد توسيع اختصاصات القضاء العسكري
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014)
- Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014
- Analog Sound
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (Audio Recording)
- البحر من هنا
- الحراك الجمعيّ على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام
- Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco
- New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire
- الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر
- Syria Media Roundup (October 28)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 28)
- DARS Media Roundup (October 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 28)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزَّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط / فلسطين المحتلة
- مقدمة: البحر من هنا
- هذا البحر لي
- Sarah Samy
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014) http://t.co/6tPHKLfjLx
yesterday at 9:10 AM
Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014 http://t.co/8qnpEbJRFX
yesterday at 8:05 AM
Analog sound http://t.co/2AgLn7p8VL
on Thursday 30 October at 06:59 AM
نهى عناب: البحر من هنا http://t.co/nYLAElqbt5
on Thursday 30 October at 06:45 AM
تالا حلاوة: الحراك الجمعي على مواقع التواصل الإجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام http://t.co/rMkNhJEigL
on Thursday 30 October at 06:41 AM