From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
6 April demands protection for January mass protests.
The 6 April Youth Movement (Democratic Front) has called on popular committees to be formed to secure nationwide mass protests due on 25 January, the first anniversary of the 2011 Egyptian Revolution.
The Democratic Front, which consists of defectors of the original 6 April Youth Movement, says the anticipated demonstrations will be completely peaceful, but stressed they have to be properly secured.
The movement also voiced disgruntlement with a recent ruling military council statement that some protesters with “vicious intentions” had been planning to “burn Egypt” on 25 January.
“These statements are released to dissuade people from taking part in the protest,” the Movement said in a released statement.
“The demands are clear and on top of them comes the handover of power to a civilian administration.”
Among other demands is the formation of a national salvation government consisting of members of the coming People’s Assembly. Forming a judicial investigative apparatus to look into post-revolution incidents of brutality is also demanded.
While the January 25 Revolution was initially understood to have heralded the end of abuses of civilians by security personnel, hundreds were tortured and even killed on several occasions through 2011.
The latest clashes that left deaths took place last month, when police and army forces tried to forcibly disperse a sit-in staged at the Cabinet headquarters. Seventeen died in the ensuing violence.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"One person walks in the streets, under the fog and the blurred dawn, indifferent to the fear and cold."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported Middle East Studies Centers
- Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Call for Participants: 2015 PARC Faculty Development Seminar (May 14-25, 2015, Jerusalem and the West Bank) http://t.co/xDuLAAZEyx
11 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 PARC Fellowship for US Scholars Conducting Field-Based Research on Palestine http://t.co/vfJpBGRqsR
11 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 NEH/FPIRI PARK Fellowship for Scholars Conducting Field-Based Humanities Research in... http://t.co/QnpUau2v6I
11 hours ago
Press Release: Announcing the Website of Watch/Raqeb -- An Arab Regional Project on Information Access http://t.co/BOgVbmrUze
11 hours ago
MESA Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported... http://t.co/qUFIGdtcIW
12 hours ago