From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
6 April demands protection for January mass protests.
The 6 April Youth Movement (Democratic Front) has called on popular committees to be formed to secure nationwide mass protests due on 25 January, the first anniversary of the 2011 Egyptian Revolution.
The Democratic Front, which consists of defectors of the original 6 April Youth Movement, says the anticipated demonstrations will be completely peaceful, but stressed they have to be properly secured.
The movement also voiced disgruntlement with a recent ruling military council statement that some protesters with “vicious intentions” had been planning to “burn Egypt” on 25 January.
“These statements are released to dissuade people from taking part in the protest,” the Movement said in a released statement.
“The demands are clear and on top of them comes the handover of power to a civilian administration.”
Among other demands is the formation of a national salvation government consisting of members of the coming People’s Assembly. Forming a judicial investigative apparatus to look into post-revolution incidents of brutality is also demanded.
While the January 25 Revolution was initially understood to have heralded the end of abuses of civilians by security personnel, hundreds were tortured and even killed on several occasions through 2011.
The latest clashes that left deaths took place last month, when police and army forces tried to forcibly disperse a sit-in staged at the Cabinet headquarters. Seventeen died in the ensuing violence.
[Developed in partnership with Ahram Online.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"ce qui frappe ici est la combinaison complexe d'un urbanisme contrôlé et autoritaire face à une pratique de la démocratie participative et des initiatives des habitants à l'échelle locale."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Iraqi Odyssey in NYC
- دمشق 2013
- الهوامش التي نعيش فيها
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 24)
- A Moveable Feast? Reflections on the French Coverage of the Paris Attacks
- Palestine Media Roundup (November 19 - 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 16-22)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 26)
- The Diaspora, Debt, and Dollarization: Unraveling Lebanon’s Resilience to a Sovereign Debt Crisis
- في العلاقة الشائكة بين التاريخ والتطرّف
- New Texts Out Now: Safinaz El Tarouty, Businessmen, Clientelism, and Authoritarianism in Egypt
- Anthropologists Speak Out for Justice in Palestine
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.3 is Live! Celebrating Our One-Year Anniversary
- يكفيني أن ألمس ورقة خضراء حتى أرى
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 23)
- عصفورية إلى الأبد
- Affirming the Rights of Students to Organize, Protest, and Resist (City University of New York)
- Terror Everywhere, Humanity Nowhere
- الجلبي، عبد الرزاق عبد الواحد: سجال ما بعد الديكتاتور
- القصائدُ قرودٌ؛ هكذا كلّ واقعٍ في عين أمّه غزال