From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
With the first anniversary of the January 25 uprising in Egypt fast approaching, Egypt’s military junta has stepped up its media campaign against democracy activists. Since February 2011, sixteen private channels, many of them owned by bussiness tycoons, have received licences from the state. However, in September 2011, Egypt's military junta froze the granting of new licenses for private satellite TV stations. According to the New York Times, Communication Minister Osama Heikal told reporters that the decision stemmed from concerns about alleged incitement to violence and sedition by some media outlets. Back in July 2011, Heikal had been appointed as Information Minister by the military, a post that had initially been abolished following the toppling of former President Hosni Mubarak.
So what is the current media landscape in Egypt, and what is the state of freedom of the press in Egypt today? Malihe Razazan put these questions to Egyptian journalist and activist Hossam El Hamalawy.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"After the intifada of the Pearl Roundabout, with the security solution and attacking on protesters, Bahraini TV began a campaign to call for the firing of workers that participated in the marches or the general strike."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- The Left and the Syria Debate
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 8 كانون الاول
- Reflections on Authoring the Chapter on Young Women for the 2016 Arab Human Development Report
- Palestine Media Roundup (December 9)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Yasser Munif on the State of the Syrian Uprising
- Media on Media Roundup (December 6)
- الناصرة المدينة الباقية
- DARS Media Roundup (November 2016)
- Aleppo: Impending Battle [Ongoing Post]
- Fatah: The Disintegration Continues
- Quick Thoughts: Elyse Semerdjian on Standing Rock
- Video: Israel's Use of Force and the Palestinian Right to Armed Resistance
- New Texts Out Now: Syrie, anatomie d’une guerre civile
- Syria Media Roundup (December 5)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 28- December 4)
- Egypt Media Roundup (December 5)
- قصائد للشَّاعر الإيطالي مارينو مُورِتِّي
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (November 2016)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 1 كانون الاول