From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
This cartoon is a response to the astonishing fact that the number of women who won seats in the post-Mubarak Egyptian parliamentary elections is a mere eight. Indeed women do not exceed two percent of the total number of elected members. To be more precise, they constitute one and a half percent of the “Parliament of the Revolution.” What can a revolution against "dictatorship" amount to in reality and practice if men who have been dictating policy and social life norms, continue to do so? This comes after the massive upheaval, which women were central to at every step. The shocking outcome in representation reveals much about the social struggles that Egypt faces. For example: What does freedom, including voice for all strata of the society, look like? And how do we implement inclusion for all?
4 comments for "Welcome to the New Egyptian ParliaMENt"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
... around the world, we have seen how tyrants, no longer able to hide behind the empty rhetoric of “democracy” ... have fallen back on brute violence. We are seeing precisely the same thing on our university campuses.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)