From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations on 15 February 2011.]
To: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
CC: UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Khader Adnan at Risk of Death on 60th Day of Hunger Strike
Urgent Call for Action
15 February 2012
As Palestinian organizations dedicated to the protection and promotion of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt), we reiterate our most grave concern about the critical health condition of Khader Adnan. Khader is now entering his 60th day of hunger strike in protest at his continuing administrative detention and ill-treatment at the hands of the Israeli Prison Service (IPS).
Khader was arrested on 17 December 2011 and has since been refusing food and medical treatment until he is granted release. On 8 January 2012, Israeli authorities issued a four-month administrative detention order, which was confirmed on 7 February 2012 by an Israeli military judge despite his worsening health condition. The appeal against his administrative detention order was rejected by an Israeli military judge on 13 February.
According to a doctor from Physicians for Human Rights-Israel who was able to visit Khader last evening, 14 February, for his fifth medical examination since his arrest, Khader is under a very direct threat of death. All of his muscles, including his heart and his stomach, are under threat of disintegrating and his immune system could cease to function at any moment. Khader’s body is at high risk of sudden heart attack or total organ failure, which would cause imminent death.
Though Khader began to ingest various minerals in his water on 9 February and glucose yesterday, 14 February, these nutrients are not enough to prevent death after such a long period of hunger strike. The doctor who conducted the medical examination also confirmed that a hunger strike of more than 70 days will undoubtedly result in death.
Due to the urgency of Khader’s condition, the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations (PCHRO) urges the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs to take immediate action and intervene with Israel in the strongest manner possible to save Khader’s life. The PCHRO demands that the international community put pressure on Israel to end his arbitrary detention before it is too late.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The author addresses his "buddies" to neutralize the effect of a paralyzing fear of arrest that may have made some of them too cautious to participate in demonstrations.... His goal is to demystify the experience of arrest as an antidote to fear.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Revolutionary Street Art: Complicating the Discourse
- Khalil Sweileh: from Barbarians' Paradise
- من إنجيل العراق الضائع
- Djerba, Tunisia: Garbage Disposal, the Environmental Crisis, and the Awakening of Ecoconsciousness
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 25-31)
- On SJP’s Freedom to Organize: An Open Letter from CUNY Faculty
- New Texts (NEWTON) Compilation by Category For Fall Semester
- One Century after World War I and the Balfour Declaration: Palestine and Palestine Studies
- Italian-Palestinian Relations: What Went Wrong?
- From Containment to Counterinsurgency in the Gaza Strip
- Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs
- After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability
- Cities Media Roundup (August 1-30)
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Djerba, Tunisia: Garbage Disposal, the Environmental Crisis, and the Awakening of Ecoconsciousness http://t.co/7PNcZKV47u
12 hours ago
سنان أنطون: من إنجيل العراق الضائع http://t.co/MMn2DoRPhy
13 hours ago
Call for Submissions: Rhonda A. Saad Prize for Best Graduate Paper in Modern and Contemporary Arab Art http://t.co/aHY0mnUmdj
17 hours ago
Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 25-31) http://t.co/hHrD9k6F9m
21 hours ago
New Texts (NEWTON) Compilation By Category For Fall Semester http://t.co/Ij3oWHUcW4
22 hours ago