From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations on 15 February 2011.]
To: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
CC: UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Khader Adnan at Risk of Death on 60th Day of Hunger Strike
Urgent Call for Action
15 February 2012
As Palestinian organizations dedicated to the protection and promotion of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt), we reiterate our most grave concern about the critical health condition of Khader Adnan. Khader is now entering his 60th day of hunger strike in protest at his continuing administrative detention and ill-treatment at the hands of the Israeli Prison Service (IPS).
Khader was arrested on 17 December 2011 and has since been refusing food and medical treatment until he is granted release. On 8 January 2012, Israeli authorities issued a four-month administrative detention order, which was confirmed on 7 February 2012 by an Israeli military judge despite his worsening health condition. The appeal against his administrative detention order was rejected by an Israeli military judge on 13 February.
According to a doctor from Physicians for Human Rights-Israel who was able to visit Khader last evening, 14 February, for his fifth medical examination since his arrest, Khader is under a very direct threat of death. All of his muscles, including his heart and his stomach, are under threat of disintegrating and his immune system could cease to function at any moment. Khader’s body is at high risk of sudden heart attack or total organ failure, which would cause imminent death.
Though Khader began to ingest various minerals in his water on 9 February and glucose yesterday, 14 February, these nutrients are not enough to prevent death after such a long period of hunger strike. The doctor who conducted the medical examination also confirmed that a hunger strike of more than 70 days will undoubtedly result in death.
Due to the urgency of Khader’s condition, the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations (PCHRO) urges the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs to take immediate action and intervene with Israel in the strongest manner possible to save Khader’s life. The PCHRO demands that the international community put pressure on Israel to end his arbitrary detention before it is too late.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"With a network of over four and a half million researchers, a quarter of the world’s academics... Academia.edu aims to provide a platform for scholars to publish their research without having to become tangled in the prolonged peer review process of academic and scientific journals."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Impunity is Not an Option: Ensuring Accountability for Mass Killings in Egypt http://t.co/nNWGDS4DlH
yesterday at 8:48 AM
A Guide to Lebanon’s Street Protests http://t.co/dfyDqK2dPc
yesterday at 8:45 AM
Nasr Hamid Abu Zaid: A Profile from the Archives http://t.co/GcjyYCVImF
yesterday at 5:24 AM
Let Us Not Praise Murderous Men; Lebanese Presidential Candidates, Considered http://t.co/wv1dQuPkOI
on Saturday 19 April at 04:20 PM
Let Us Now Praise Murderers; Lebanese Presidential Candidates Considered http://t.co/xX5N5URHqI
on Saturday 19 April at 01:30 PM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Three Poems by Ahmad Shamlou
- Nasr Hamid Abu Zaid: A Profile from the Archives
- Let Us Now Praise Murderous Men; Lebanese Presidential Candidates, Considered
- قراءة في مضامين تدريس اللغتين العربية والعبرية في الجامعة العبرية
- على أرض الصحفيين ما يستحق الحكي
- من قصة النقل المشترك لمدينة بيروت: باصاتٌ ومترو في محطة الأحلام
- غزة والبحر
- Stasis Shift: Guernica Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Founder Bassam Haddad
- On the Struggle of Syrian Refugees in Lebanon
- On Not Despising the Present: Some Notes on Faris Giacaman’s 'The Sadness of Post-Militance'
- Tahrir, Taksim, Tempelhof: Between Political Fields
- الزمن الآخر\اتصال هاتفي في ساعة متأخرة من الليل
- On the Road: An Exhibition by Paul Ayoub Geday
- Event: Angela Davis and Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat on Mass Incarceration in the United States and Palestine (19 April, Evergreen State College)
- DARS Media Roundup (April 16)
- New Texts Out Now: Valeska Huber, Channelling Mobilities: Migration and Globalisation in the Suez Canal Region and Beyond
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (16 April)
- Syria Media Roundup (April 16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 15)