From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations on 15 February 2011.]
To: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
CC: UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Khader Adnan at Risk of Death on 60th Day of Hunger Strike
Urgent Call for Action
15 February 2012
As Palestinian organizations dedicated to the protection and promotion of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt), we reiterate our most grave concern about the critical health condition of Khader Adnan. Khader is now entering his 60th day of hunger strike in protest at his continuing administrative detention and ill-treatment at the hands of the Israeli Prison Service (IPS).
Khader was arrested on 17 December 2011 and has since been refusing food and medical treatment until he is granted release. On 8 January 2012, Israeli authorities issued a four-month administrative detention order, which was confirmed on 7 February 2012 by an Israeli military judge despite his worsening health condition. The appeal against his administrative detention order was rejected by an Israeli military judge on 13 February.
According to a doctor from Physicians for Human Rights-Israel who was able to visit Khader last evening, 14 February, for his fifth medical examination since his arrest, Khader is under a very direct threat of death. All of his muscles, including his heart and his stomach, are under threat of disintegrating and his immune system could cease to function at any moment. Khader’s body is at high risk of sudden heart attack or total organ failure, which would cause imminent death.
Though Khader began to ingest various minerals in his water on 9 February and glucose yesterday, 14 February, these nutrients are not enough to prevent death after such a long period of hunger strike. The doctor who conducted the medical examination also confirmed that a hunger strike of more than 70 days will undoubtedly result in death.
Due to the urgency of Khader’s condition, the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations (PCHRO) urges the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs to take immediate action and intervene with Israel in the strongest manner possible to save Khader’s life. The PCHRO demands that the international community put pressure on Israel to end his arbitrary detention before it is too late.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"After the 2011 victory, an increasingly self-confident AKP started to consider pursuing its project for democratic reform without the cumbersome presence of the Gülenists—who had traditionally been reluctant to come to compromises with the Kurdish guerrillas (PKK)."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Petition: Nobel Peace Laureates and Celebrities Call for Military Embargo on Israel http://t.co/4c5ZHR1X0e
yesterday at 5:05 PM
Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes http://t.co/M9Eb51FoZf
yesterday at 9:44 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (July 21) http://t.co/ZQPmjHhX4f
yesterday at 8:19 AM
عمر الجفال: بغايا بغداد التعيسات http://t.co/npfzeBV7JZ
yesterday at 7:33 AM
More Gazans now fleeing Israeli attacks than during Cast Lead http://t.co/XIyOkaq1uP
yesterday at 6:40 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein
- الاقتصاد الأخلاقي للاستعمار الاستيطاني: إسرائيل و"الصدمة النفسية للإخلاء"
- New Texts Out Now: Sheila Carapico, Political Aid and Arab Activism: Democracy Promotion, Justice, and Representation
- FAQ on Failed Effort to Arrange Ceasefire Between Israel and Hamas