From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations on 15 February 2011.]
To: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
CC: UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Khader Adnan at Risk of Death on 60th Day of Hunger Strike
Urgent Call for Action
15 February 2012
As Palestinian organizations dedicated to the protection and promotion of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt), we reiterate our most grave concern about the critical health condition of Khader Adnan. Khader is now entering his 60th day of hunger strike in protest at his continuing administrative detention and ill-treatment at the hands of the Israeli Prison Service (IPS).
Khader was arrested on 17 December 2011 and has since been refusing food and medical treatment until he is granted release. On 8 January 2012, Israeli authorities issued a four-month administrative detention order, which was confirmed on 7 February 2012 by an Israeli military judge despite his worsening health condition. The appeal against his administrative detention order was rejected by an Israeli military judge on 13 February.
According to a doctor from Physicians for Human Rights-Israel who was able to visit Khader last evening, 14 February, for his fifth medical examination since his arrest, Khader is under a very direct threat of death. All of his muscles, including his heart and his stomach, are under threat of disintegrating and his immune system could cease to function at any moment. Khader’s body is at high risk of sudden heart attack or total organ failure, which would cause imminent death.
Though Khader began to ingest various minerals in his water on 9 February and glucose yesterday, 14 February, these nutrients are not enough to prevent death after such a long period of hunger strike. The doctor who conducted the medical examination also confirmed that a hunger strike of more than 70 days will undoubtedly result in death.
Due to the urgency of Khader’s condition, the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations (PCHRO) urges the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs to take immediate action and intervene with Israel in the strongest manner possible to save Khader’s life. The PCHRO demands that the international community put pressure on Israel to end his arbitrary detention before it is too late.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
إن القضاة يقدرون لك ياسيادة الرئيس حق التقدير انك من أعاد إلي مصر مجلس قضائها الأعلى في مستهل ولايتك وانك أضفت إلي هذا الانجاز فضلا لا ينسي حسم الطبيعة القانونية للنيابة العامة كشعبة أصيلة من شعب السلطة القضائيةclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Studio Visit with Doa Aly
- An Excerpt from Sinan Antoon's "Ave Maria"
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
- The Wonder Box
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Studio Visit with Doa Aly http://t.co/yibmG5EPvi
13 hours ago
BBC News - Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' http://t.co/64At4wsbe9
16 hours ago
BBC News - Gaza crisis: Israel kills three top Hamas commanders http://t.co/yO9tW6AABS
yesterday at 7:05 AM
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
on Wednesday 20 August at 10:45 AM
@sakkeh3arja Not at all. Yourself and Pulse, as well as others, will be invited to join an e-roundtable to address this properly.
on Wednesday 20 August at 10:43 AM