From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Bedoon Rights is a network founded by stateless Kuwaiti advocate Mona Kareem putting together contributions by a number of stateless volunteers mostly based in Kuwait. The network is the only online reference in English devoted for the case of statelessness in Kuwai. It provides relevant official documents translated, reports made by international organizations, daily reporting, videos, photos, and it offers help to journalists, correspondents, and bloggers interested in spotlighting the stateless struggle in Kuwait by offering information, on-ground guidance, and relevant interviews.
There are at least 120,000 people bidun jinsiyya (without nationality) in Kuwait today suffering from the lack of human rights. They cannot legally obtain birth, death, marriage or divorce certificates. The same applies to driving licenses, identification cards, and passports. They do not have access to public education, health care, housing or employment. And while they face some of the state’s harshest discrimination policies, they have no recourse to the law and its courts. Simply stated, the bidun (or bedoon)—who comprise about ten percent of the Kuwaiti population—do not exist. They have been dehumanized and rendered invisible by government policies coupled with pervasive social stigmatization.
The stateless of Kuwait have always been an underrepresented minority in Kuwait. Local mainstream media has shamelessly misrepresented them to serve the government’s interests. This network comes as a necessity due to the lack of references in English about our cause and struggle. Stateless activists and protesters in the past few years have been harassed, arrested, mistreated, and put to trials for speaking up. The network makes sure newsletters are sent regularly to organizations and media outlets to inform them of the situation and violations of those "bedoon" human rights.
Learn more about Beedon Rights at http://www.bedoonrights.org.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“The strikes articulate one of the organized working class’ most significant ideological challenges to neo-liberalism in the current economic crisis.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
- Hassan Khan in Conversation with Mohamed Abdelkarim
- In Memory of Suphi Nejat Agirnasli
- إشكالية المجتمع المدني في المغرب
- Press Release: Saudi Death Sentence against Shia Leader Is Politically Motivated
- الانحناء على جثة عمّان
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Charif, Mohamad Hafeda, and Joumana al Jabri, Creative Refuge
- Panel Event: After Gezi, After the Elections, After ISIS: Politics in Turkey Now (CUNY Graduate Center, 20 October 2014)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Check out 'StatusHour' live on Ustream! http://t.co/6NtRo46NzG
12 hours ago
Tune in now! Live-stream of panel on "Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC... http://t.co/UPUnn0Q76g
12 hours ago
STARTING NOW: Panel on "Operation Protective Edge: Legal & Political Implications of ICC Prosecution" #Israel #Gaza http://t.co/tqRNNtxbHy
12 hours ago
Today! Live-Streaming OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution: 4 pm... http://t.co/S6zbMzakLr
14 hours ago
Today! Live-Streaming OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution: 4 pm @ GMU: http://t.co/7XIrnyZBMY
14 hours ago