From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[Please note that this is a roundup of news articles circulating on Syria and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Syria Page Editors or Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week]
“Syrian activists (1) rethinking the revolution”, an insightful article on the Syrian oppositional currents in Al-Akhbar
“Fast-forward Syria: three terrible scenarios and one good option” analysis in Al-Jazeera English by Marwan Bishara
“Syria: armed opposition groups committing abuses” claims of human rights abuses committed by Syrian oppositional forces, in this report from Human Rights Watch
“Al-Jazeera obtains secret Syria files” documents and briefings drawn up by Syrian security for president Assad are said to have been leaked by a Syrian government defector
“Russia offers to support Syria UN plan by Kofi Annan’ the latest developments re Kofi’s efforts for an end to violence
“They own the future” Syrian writer Odai al-Zoubi writing for Syrian monthly Syria Today on the revolutionary transformation of the people.
“Syria on the edge” in depth reporting from the Turkish refugee camps, by Michael Peel of the FT
“Friend of the Palestinians” an article in the Socialist Review by Dr Miriyam Aouragh solid analysis of the Syria regime’s highly questionable claims to support the Palestinian people.
هل تستعيد المعارضة السورية استقلاليتها؟
Ibrahim Al-Amin presents the need for the Syrian opposition to take a step back and reevaluate its approach..
بين الأسد والجيش لغز محير؟
Nicola Nasif: the Syrian army will not play the same role as it did in either Libya, Egypt, or Tunisia.
إدارة الأزمة السورية: الجيش بيضة القبان
Samir Al-Hasan analyzes the Syrian army’s undivided support for the Assad regime.
العلمانيون بين الانتفاضة والاستبداد: نقد الخطاب الزائف
Mohamad Dibo presents the secularists’ arguments about and role in the Syrian revolution.
الفرصة الأخيرة لسوريا
Kofi Anan’s mission is the last chance for Syria.
رسالة مفتوحة من هيومن ريتس واتش إلى قيادات المعارضة السورية
Human Rights Watch’s open letter highlights the crimes committed by leaders of the Syrian oposition (the SNC most notably) in Syria.
الدرامة السورية الروسية
Tarek Al-Hamid questions Russia’s stance on Syria.
حكاية البعث السوري خارج الدستور
An analysis of the annulment of article 8 from the Syrian constitution and the history of the despotic baathist rule in Syria.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"With witty political commentary and folk-ish oud melodies, Egyptian musician Yasser El Manawahly channels the spirit of Sheikh Imam into the contemporary political and social issues of Egypt... taking on the idea that of the IMF as Egypt’s great savior in a satirical manner."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Not Much Special in UN Middle East Missions
- إعادة ابتكار فلسطين: السينما من أجل السلام في جنين
- The Armenian Genocide and the Politics of Knowledge
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (March-April 2015)
- Naema’s Office is Bleeding
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (April-May 2015)
- We Are All Uncomfortable: On Academic Boycott & What Is Productive
- New Texts Out Now: Bedross Der Matossian, Shattered Dreams of Revolution: From Liberty to Violence in the Late Ottoman Empire
- Memory and Forgetfulness in A Settler Colony
- طائرة الجثامين الصباحية
- Wearing Catastrophe on Our Chests
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 19)
- Academic Freedom, Ethics, and Responsibility: The Silencing and Censoring of Palestine in Western Liberal Academia
- Then and Now: LCPS Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Ziad Abu-Rish on State Institutions in Lebanon
- النكبة كمصل في الوريد
- Turkey Media Roundup (May 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 18)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 11-17)
- This is the Time. This is the Record of the Time