From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[Please note that this is a roundup of news articles circulating on Syria and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Syria Page Editors or Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week]
“Syrian activists (1) rethinking the revolution”, an insightful article on the Syrian oppositional currents in Al-Akhbar
“Fast-forward Syria: three terrible scenarios and one good option” analysis in Al-Jazeera English by Marwan Bishara
“Syria: armed opposition groups committing abuses” claims of human rights abuses committed by Syrian oppositional forces, in this report from Human Rights Watch
“Al-Jazeera obtains secret Syria files” documents and briefings drawn up by Syrian security for president Assad are said to have been leaked by a Syrian government defector
“Russia offers to support Syria UN plan by Kofi Annan’ the latest developments re Kofi’s efforts for an end to violence
“They own the future” Syrian writer Odai al-Zoubi writing for Syrian monthly Syria Today on the revolutionary transformation of the people.
“Syria on the edge” in depth reporting from the Turkish refugee camps, by Michael Peel of the FT
“Friend of the Palestinians” an article in the Socialist Review by Dr Miriyam Aouragh solid analysis of the Syria regime’s highly questionable claims to support the Palestinian people.
هل تستعيد المعارضة السورية استقلاليتها؟
Ibrahim Al-Amin presents the need for the Syrian opposition to take a step back and reevaluate its approach..
بين الأسد والجيش لغز محير؟
Nicola Nasif: the Syrian army will not play the same role as it did in either Libya, Egypt, or Tunisia.
إدارة الأزمة السورية: الجيش بيضة القبان
Samir Al-Hasan analyzes the Syrian army’s undivided support for the Assad regime.
العلمانيون بين الانتفاضة والاستبداد: نقد الخطاب الزائف
Mohamad Dibo presents the secularists’ arguments about and role in the Syrian revolution.
الفرصة الأخيرة لسوريا
Kofi Anan’s mission is the last chance for Syria.
رسالة مفتوحة من هيومن ريتس واتش إلى قيادات المعارضة السورية
Human Rights Watch’s open letter highlights the crimes committed by leaders of the Syrian oposition (the SNC most notably) in Syria.
الدرامة السورية الروسية
Tarek Al-Hamid questions Russia’s stance on Syria.
حكاية البعث السوري خارج الدستور
An analysis of the annulment of article 8 from the Syrian constitution and the history of the despotic baathist rule in Syria.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Arguably, the revolutionary aspirations of the people of the Arab world not only depend on the bravery of the Arab people but also on the ability of people in the West to resist neoliberal deepening in their own countries."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- سجن النساء يجتاز اختبار بكدال ويتجاوزه
- Latin America’s Lesson for the United States: Prosecute the Torturers
- Hassan Khan: Taraban
- Soma, Ermenek, Yirca: Can Anti-Coal Activists Defend Coal Miners and Olive Farmers?
- Historical Realities of Concept Pop: Debating Art in Egypt
- New Texts Out Now: Isabelle Werenfels, Beyond Authoritarian Upgrading: The Re-Emergence of Sufi Orders in Maghrebi Politics
- Syria Media Roundup (December 16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (December 16)
- Turkey Media Roundup (December 16)
- Egypt Media Roundup (December 15)
- Aloha Aina: Notes From The Struggle in Hawai’i
- The Politics of "Unveiling Saudi Women": Between Postcolonial Fantasies and the Surveillance State
- The Islamic State: The Fear of Decline?
- ملف من الأرشيف: نظيرة زين الدين
- Countercurrent: Bahrain Watch: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Reda al-Fardan and Mona Kareem
- Mohamed Abla Painting Award
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (December 8-14)
- Open Letter to Mr. Rem Koolhaas
- 'Nefes alamiyorum': Baskaldirinin farkinda misiniz?
- The Flow and Entrapment of Syrian Jazira Music