From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) was created twenty-one years ago with the purpose of supporting the transition to democracy and market economies in the countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Following the Arab uprisings of 2011, it was tasked by its shareholders, including the United States and the European Union, to assist the "democratic" transitions in the southern and eastern Mediterranean region. Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco are the EBRD's primary targets in the immediate future.
One of the main criticisms of current EBRD operations in central and eastern Europe is that the bank focuses too much on economic liberalization and privatization as drivers of democratization and development. Early indications are that the EBRD will follow a similar path in Arab countries, irrespective of the fact that the uprisings in these countries critiqued the social injustices caused by rash privatization. This short documentary, a joint project of NGOs Platform in the UK and CEE Bankwatch Network, provides insights into what Egyptians think about the EBRD's privatization agenda.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"With a network of over four and a half million researchers, a quarter of the world’s academics... Academia.edu aims to provide a platform for scholars to publish their research without having to become tangled in the prolonged peer review process of academic and scientific journals."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey