From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) was created twenty-one years ago with the purpose of supporting the transition to democracy and market economies in the countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Following the Arab uprisings of 2011, it was tasked by its shareholders, including the United States and the European Union, to assist the "democratic" transitions in the southern and eastern Mediterranean region. Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco are the EBRD's primary targets in the immediate future.
One of the main criticisms of current EBRD operations in central and eastern Europe is that the bank focuses too much on economic liberalization and privatization as drivers of democratization and development. Early indications are that the EBRD will follow a similar path in Arab countries, irrespective of the fact that the uprisings in these countries critiqued the social injustices caused by rash privatization. This short documentary, a joint project of NGOs Platform in the UK and CEE Bankwatch Network, provides insights into what Egyptians think about the EBRD's privatization agenda.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قل "انتهاكات الحقوق الاقتصادية" ولا تقل "جرائم الفساد"
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014)
- Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014
- Analog Sound
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (Audio Recording)
- البحر من هنا
- الحراك الجمعيّ على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام
- Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco
- New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire
- الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر
- Syria Media Roundup (October 28)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 28)
- DARS Media Roundup (October 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 28)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزَّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط / فلسطين المحتلة
- مقدمة: البحر من هنا
- هذا البحر لي
- Sarah Samy
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 20-26)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014) http://t.co/6tPHKLfjLx
21 hours ago
Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014 http://t.co/8qnpEbJRFX
22 hours ago
Analog sound http://t.co/2AgLn7p8VL
yesterday at 6:59 AM
نهى عناب: البحر من هنا http://t.co/nYLAElqbt5
on Thursday 30 October at 06:45 AM
تالا حلاوة: الحراك الجمعي على مواقع التواصل الإجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام http://t.co/rMkNhJEigL
on Thursday 30 October at 06:41 AM