From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) was created twenty-one years ago with the purpose of supporting the transition to democracy and market economies in the countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Following the Arab uprisings of 2011, it was tasked by its shareholders, including the United States and the European Union, to assist the "democratic" transitions in the southern and eastern Mediterranean region. Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco are the EBRD's primary targets in the immediate future.
One of the main criticisms of current EBRD operations in central and eastern Europe is that the bank focuses too much on economic liberalization and privatization as drivers of democratization and development. Early indications are that the EBRD will follow a similar path in Arab countries, irrespective of the fact that the uprisings in these countries critiqued the social injustices caused by rash privatization. This short documentary, a joint project of NGOs Platform in the UK and CEE Bankwatch Network, provides insights into what Egyptians think about the EBRD's privatization agenda.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The recent earthquake in Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish province of Van not only caused devastation to the lives of many, but also surfaced country’s political and ethnic fault lines."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Call for Applicants--Doctoral Dissertation Summer Workshop: Researching Lebanon
- البنك الدولي، تلاعب و تزوير من أجل تحرير الاستثمار
- إسرائيل في القدس الشرقية: من الحسم الجغرافي إلى الحسم الديموغرافي
- فلامنجو البنت الغريبة
- Speaking Truth to Power: A Panel on Academic Freedoms and the War Against Kurds in Turkey (17 February, CUNY Graduate Center, New York)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 8)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 1-7)
- Awled Amreeka?
- !قَابَ قَلْبَيْنِ أَوْ أَدْنَى
- حلقة للوضع عن دورة الإنتاج الموسيقي في فلسطين: من عكا إلى غزة
- أوراق من الشعر الليبي: ملف خاص
- القصيدة العابرة للقلق
- Photography Media Roundup (February 5)
- Palestine Media Roundup (January 28 – February 3)
- المجتمع المدني في الخليج العربي: الواقع والاحتمالات. مقابلة للوضع بين انور الرشيد وفاتح عزام
- الحبّ هو الذي يحرّرنا
- Cities Media Roundup (January 2016)
- DARS Media Roundup (January 2016)
- New Texts Out Now: Mike de Seve and Daniel Burwen, Operation Ajax: The Story of the CIA Coup that Remade the Middle East