From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on Syria and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Syria Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Monday night of every week]
Regional and International perspectives
The Hamas-Syrian Split: A Dilemma for Iran`s Palestinian Strategythe Islamic Republic saw its relationship with the Palestinian (…) from a Syrian perspective.”
Syria to send 10 athletes to London OlympicsSyrian body remains fully recognized by the IOC.”
Syria Kurds Fleeing to Iraqi Safe Haven Samer Muscati on Syrian Kurds ’displacement to Northern Iraq.
Imperialism and the Left
The Trouble with Syria Matthew Bugden considers the Syrian case “holistically” and explains why an important segment of society still supports Assad.
Major war games on Syria border ‘have nothing to do’ with Syria “Eager Lion 2012” is a warfare simulation operation currently being conducted by nineteen countries in Jordan.
Penetrated Opposition and Failure of Consensus in Syria: Interview with Haytham Manna`(Part 4 of 4) Haytham Manna’ on the National Coordinating Body and its relationship with the SNC and other opposition groups.
On Syrian narratives
Voter Turnout 51% Despite Election BoycottSyrian election committee chairman Khalaf al-Izzaoui.
Taking Syria`s Elections Seriouslythe significance of the seemingly insignificant elections lies in the crucial battle over expectations about the regime's future.”
General Mood claims that people across the political spectrum in Syria want the Annan Plan to succeed
Art and social media
Policy and Reports
Subhi Hadidi on the amusing Syrian People’s Assembly elections and the regime’s weak plans to gain and maintain support
الانتخابات السورية: إمعان في الأزمة
Saad Allah Mezraani on the Syrian People’s Assembly elections.
Michel Kilo asks if the Syrian democratic platform will succeed in shifting the balance of power and aid the revolution in achieving its goals?
المسألة الكردية في سورية: مقاربة عامة
Badrakhan Ali reflects on the Kurdish case in Syria.
Haytham Mannaa argues that the international community is giving up on the Anan initiative hastily without providing a proper alternative.
صيف سوري ساخن على نار هادئة
Fadi Al-Ahmar argues that the people in Syria need to learn from the Lebanese case.
The Damascus Bureau on how the Kofi Anan initiative failed before it had even started.
الفضائيات ذات السطوة الأكبر على المشهد السوري
Nihad Ismail presents the findings of her research about the most influential Arabic Satellite TV Channels in terms of popular opinion in the Syrian and Arab world.
الأزمة السورية وبوادر التسوية
The Damascus Bureau on the discussions of a settlement during the current Syrian impasse.
Subhi Hadidi on the recent supportive statements made by the French-Jewish historian and journalist Alexander Adler regarding the Asad regime.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"In this sense, the Mubarak trial mirrors a contradiction defining the wider political scene in Egypt since January."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي
- ما هي النكبة؟
- Academic Freedom and the Middle East: A Handbook for Teaching and Research
- Syria's Inglorious Basterd
- Maghreb Media Roundup (May 17)
- Buckling to Bigotry: The Newseum Dishonors Murdered Palestinian Journalists
- كتب: أطفال الندى
- Statement of the Arab and Middle East Journalists Association in Reference to Newseum Scandal
- New Texts Out Now: Maya Mikdashi, What is Settler Colonialism? and Sherene Seikaly, Return to the Present
- On the Margins Roundup (May)
- On the American Association of University Professors' Opposition to Academic Boycotts
- The Palestinian Museum: An Agent Of Empowerment And Integration For Palestinians
- An Ongoing Displacement: The Forced Exile of the Palestinians
- Syria Media Roundup (May 16)
- The Ongoing Nakba: The Forcible Displacement of the Palestinian People
- Nakba 2013: The Palestinian Youth Movement Commemorates 65 Years of Al Nakba (Introduction)
- النكبة، هنا، الآن
- حول استبعاد النكبة الفلسطينية من دراسات الصدمة