From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night of every week.]
"Cnisel : la fraude confirmée"-'Honest observers' contrast with otherwise fraudulent elections.
“أعضاء البرلمان الجزائري الجديد يؤدون القسم الدستورى”-Accusations of one-party rule disrupt assembly's oath ceremony.
“Warda al-Jazairia obituary” - Highlights of the singer's life, including her encounters with rebellion.
"ما بعد ليبيا للإتصالات والتقنية : وضع الإنترنت في ليبيا" - High internet prices and poor availability threaten to hinder economic and social development.
"The delay in elections and optimism in Libya" - Despite sustained rumors of postponement, citizens remain hopeful as elections approach.
“الطبقة الوسطى ودورها في بناء الدولة .. بقلم/ خالد إبزيم”- Burgeoning middle class, particularly professors, scholars, writers, and legal professionals, are eager to contribute to the intellectual foundation of Libya's development.
"ليبيا تتصارع لاحترام موعد الانتخابات" - Disagreement with seat distribution may stall elections, despite Abdul Jalil's reassurances.
“RE: Mauritanians in Northern Mali”- Overview of recent Mauritanian military strategies against AQIM.
“Mauritania: Student Scandal Rocks Presidential Palace” - Students claim former president of Nouakchott University attempted to bribe them to give up their protests.
“Manifestation du 27 à Casa : un succès et après?” - Unemployed graduates, students, members of the March 20th movement and other disgruntled sectors of society merged to voice their demands for democratic reform, fair economic practices, and social equality.
“Morocco: Stalling Economy” - Superficial modifications to the 2012 budget reflect Government's static policies and failure to implement substantive reform.
“Healthcare Provision and Reforms in Morocco” - Historical examination of the development and failures of Morocco's healthcare.
“Morocco: Independent Media Losing Foothold” - Government's '"Public Media Guidelines" purportedly intend to increase Arabic language use and ignites debate on the potential social influence of 'Islamists.'
“Maroc, pays de l’absurdité et de l’impunité” - "Exceptionalism," tradition, and ritual used to justify monarchal policies.
“15 Moroccan Poets on ‘Big Bridge’”- A compilation of select works from diverse Moroccan poets.
“Dix raisons pour aimer la dictature, dix raisons pour haïr la démocratie” - Satirical enumération of democracy's pitfalls.
"أصحاب الشهادات المعطّلون عن العمل : إحتجاجات و مقترحات"- Video coverage of protests held by unemployed graduates.
"قراءة في كف تونس وكشف المستقبل" - Reflections on the presentation and impact of developing political concerns in Tunisia.
“Tunisia: Injured of the Uprising Urgently Need Care” - Human Rights Watch urges the Tunisian government to fulfill its responsibility to the revolution's injured by providing them with medical services as well as reparations.
“Hunger Strike of Tunisian Blogger Trigger Wave of Support” - Confiscation of a Nawaat contributor's cameras resonates with citizens weary of corruption.
Recent Jadaliyya articles on the Maghreb
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Even with continued Israeli control of the Palestinian coast and airspace, Gaza’s trade with the rest of the world could be re-routed to transit through Egypt and Jordan."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 17-23)
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interview by France24 on Gaza Disengagement and Its Aftermath