From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on Syria and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Syria Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Monday night of every week]
Regional and International perspectives
Le Brésil défend le dialogue avec la Syrie en vue d'une transition politique Former Brazilian ambassador Antonia Patriota in an interview on the Brazilian position on Syria
Syria’s Bashar Al-Assad Hangs on to Power Despite Turmoil Joshua Landis draws a profile of Bashar al-Assad.
Imperialism and the Left
Hollow Responses to Houla Massacre the “unprincipled and improvised nature of Western attitude toward Syria.”
The Houla affair highlights Western intelligence gap in Syria Thierry Meyssan says that “the Houla affair shows that the West is incapable of knowing the situation on the ground, whereas Russian military intelligence is privy to exactly what is happening.”
Haytham Manna : « pour Moscou, Bashar al-Assad n’est pas sacre » Haytham Manna talks about his recent visit to Moscow and says the Russians care more about the Syrian state than its regime.
On Syrian narratives
Syrian Intervention Risks Upsetting Global Orderin reacting to one human tragedy, we must be careful not to facilitate another.”
Syrian Tribal Networks and their Implications for the Syrian Uprising Nicholas Heras and Carole O’Leary write about the social demographic impact of tribalism in the uprising and potential post-Assad era.
Ghosts of Syria: Diehard Militias who Kill in the Name of AssadPeter Kellier writes about Syria’s Shabiha providing a historical and economic background that sustain its existence.
Policy and Reports
Ward Kasouha discusses the existence of a mixture of class and sectarian conflicts within the current Syrian struggle.
دعوة إلى العمل لا إلى اليـأس
Saad-Allah Mezr’ani writes about the ramifications of the struggle in Syria on the existing sectarian tensions in Lebanon.
من ذاكرة السجون السورية: بانتظار مُضر الجندي
The Damascus Bureau recounts the story of Mudar Al-Jundi and his undeclared death after being tortured during his time in prison in the Palestine Branch of the Syrian Military Intelligence Agency.
البطالة والنزوح يثقلان كاهل المواطن السوري
The Damascus Bureau recounts the experiences of Syrian citizens who have been suffering from the implications of high unemployment rates and emigration in Syria.
درعـا: خـزان النـظام ومعارضتـه بعـد شـرارة «تنزيـل العقـال»
Tarek Al-Abed presents the current situation in the Syrian city of Daraa, in which the most significant Syrian mass protests began.
خطاب الرئيس الاسد
Abed-Al-Bari Atwan on Al-Assad’s recent speech.
هل يكفي التحذير من «حرب أهلية» في سوريا؟
Arib Al-Rentawi writes about the warnings of a civil war in Syria.
Ziyad Haydar writes about the current Minister of Agriculture Riyadh Hijab, and his expected duty to create the new government in Syria.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The current AKP government has been referencing Europe and its associated symbolisms to justify its various pro-capital, pro-security, and paternalistic policies. Is it viable, then, to draw from the same sources to scrutinize the legitimacy of those policies and to suggest alternatives?"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Turkey’s Three-Front War?
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 24-30)
- Cities Media Roundup (August 2015)
- Israel’s Defeat on the Iran Deal
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria