From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on Syria and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Syria Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week]
Regional and International perspectives
Le Brésil défend le dialogue avec la Syrie en vue d'une transition politique Former Brazilian ambassador Antonia Patriota in an interview on the Brazilian position on Syria
Syria’s Bashar Al-Assad Hangs on to Power Despite Turmoil Joshua Landis draws a profile of Bashar al-Assad.
Imperialism and the Left
Hollow Responses to Houla Massacre the “unprincipled and improvised nature of Western attitude toward Syria.”
The Houla affair highlights Western intelligence gap in Syria Thierry Meyssan says that “the Houla affair shows that the West is incapable of knowing the situation on the ground, whereas Russian military intelligence is privy to exactly what is happening.”
Haytham Manna : « pour Moscou, Bashar al-Assad n’est pas sacre » Haytham Manna talks about his recent visit to Moscow and says the Russians care more about the Syrian state than its regime.
On Syrian narratives
Syrian Intervention Risks Upsetting Global Orderin reacting to one human tragedy, we must be careful not to facilitate another.”
Syrian Tribal Networks and their Implications for the Syrian Uprising Nicholas Heras and Carole O’Leary write about the social demographic impact of tribalism in the uprising and potential post-Assad era.
Ghosts of Syria: Diehard Militias who Kill in the Name of AssadPeter Kellier writes about Syria’s Shabiha providing a historical and economic background that sustain its existence.
Policy and Reports
Ward Kasouha discusses the existence of a mixture of class and sectarian conflicts within the current Syrian struggle.
دعوة إلى العمل لا إلى اليـأس
Saad-Allah Mezr’ani writes about the ramifications of the struggle in Syria on the existing sectarian tensions in Lebanon.
من ذاكرة السجون السورية: بانتظار مُضر الجندي
The Damascus Bureau recounts the story of Mudar Al-Jundi and his undeclared death after being tortured during his time in prison in the Palestine Branch of the Syrian Military Intelligence Agency.
البطالة والنزوح يثقلان كاهل المواطن السوري
The Damascus Bureau recounts the experiences of Syrian citizens who have been suffering from the implications of high unemployment rates and emigration in Syria.
درعـا: خـزان النـظام ومعارضتـه بعـد شـرارة «تنزيـل العقـال»
Tarek Al-Abed presents the current situation in the Syrian city of Daraa, in which the most significant Syrian mass protests began.
خطاب الرئيس الاسد
Abed-Al-Bari Atwan on Al-Assad’s recent speech.
هل يكفي التحذير من «حرب أهلية» في سوريا؟
Arib Al-Rentawi writes about the warnings of a civil war in Syria.
Ziyad Haydar writes about the current Minister of Agriculture Riyadh Hijab, and his expected duty to create the new government in Syria.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"There is no negative relationship between production and demonstrations. Demonstrations happen and so does production. All developed countries have protests."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
- الجزائر إعادة تخيّل الحقبة الجميلة
- بغداد: نعمة النفايات وفوضاها
- American Studies Association Resolution on Academic Boycott of Israel
- New Texts Out Now: Ralf Brand and Sara Fregonese, The Radicals’ City: Urban Environment, Polarization, Cohesion
- Implications of Morocco's Bifurcated Educational System
Call for Applicants: Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Italian Studies and Middle East Studies 2014-2016 (Brown... http://t.co/Vg1sj6ROwL
9 hours ago
Campaign Update: Hebrew University Oral History Conference Dealt Two Significant Blows http://t.co/HZFSVhWowM
9 hours ago
حيدر عيد: تأملات فلسطينية في الأيديولوجيا السياسية الأمريكية http://t.co/apyPlZSGpc
13 hours ago
BBC News - US and UK suspend non-lethal aid for Syria rebels http://t.co/bqQ4btrjZC
14 hours ago
DARS Media Roundup (December 11) http://t.co/sZPFgiZpJj
14 hours ago
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- تأملات فلسطينية في الأيديولوجيا السياسية الأمريكية
- DARS Media Roundup (December 11)
- New Texts Out Now: Abdel Razzaq Takriti, Monsoon Revolution: Republicans, Sultans, and Empires in Oman, 1965-1976
- Jil Oslo: Palestinian Hip Hop, Youth Culture, and the Youth Movement
- الأبارتهايد ونقاشات منع التجوّل
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (December 10)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (December 2-8)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (December 10)
- International Human Rights Day: Palestinian People’s Suffering Continues
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (10 December)
- Syria Media Roundup (December 10)
- Turkey Media Roundup (December 10)
- Egypt Media Roundup (December 9)
- Drug Trafficking in Northwest Africa: The Moroccan Gateway
- Maghreb Media Roundup (December 9)
- Israel Wins in Mexico
- The Whispers of WhatsApp: Beyond Facebook and Twitter in the Middle East
- Beirut Art Center's Exposure 2013
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (November 2013)
- Outlawing The January 25 Revolution (VIDEO)