From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
On Sunday night an official told state-run MENA news agency that the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces issued a complementary constitutional declaration and will give details about the content of the document on Monday morning at 9:30 am.
The SCAF held its third emergency meeting in three days to discuss legal procedures after the election of a president.
After the meeting, SCAF head Hussein Tantawi led an Egyptian delegation that included the foreign minister and members of the military council to Saudi Arabia to attend the funeral of Crown Prince Nayef Abdul-Aziz in Mecca.
An official source said that the document would specify the powers of the president and the body before which he would be sworn, most likely the Supreme Constitutional Court.
The SCAF has postponed issuing a decision on the criteria of the Constituent Assembly after legal experts disagreed among themselves over the issue in their meetings with the military council.
According to the Constitutional Declaration of March 2011, the military council retains legislative power, even after the election of a president, until a new parliament is elected.
According to Article 56 of the declaration, the president appoints and dismisses the prime minister, the ministers, civil and military servants, political representatives and certain members in the People's Assembly and the Shura Council, represents the state at home and abroad, and issues amnesty, while the military council retains the power of legislation and the approval of the state budget after the dissolution of Parliament.
[Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm. This article originally appeared in Egypt Independent.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey