From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The final results of the presidential runoff will be announced on Sunday, said Presidential Elections Commission (PEC) Secretary General Hatem Bagato.
“There are nationwide vote-counting errors and after the appeals are considered we will recount the votes, and then the final result will be announced on Sunday," Bagato said in a phone call to media personality Amr Adib on the Orbit satellite TV station.
The commission had initially said it would announce on Thursday the final results of the election held Saturday and Sunday, but delayed the decision to consider hundreds of complaints.
Bagato said the campaigns of Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohamed Morsy and former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq had filed 220 and 190 appeals, respectively. He said appeals made by both candidates concern specific geographic areas and governorates, especially those in which there is a large difference in the number of votes in favor of the other candidate.
Bagato said the PEC “does not accept threats from anyone,” and that it “rules according to the law.”
The postponement raised questions by the Muslim Brotherhood and its political arm the Freedom and Justice Party, which warned against any attempts to falsify the will of the people, saying SCAF would have to face the public.
Both electoral campaigns are claiming victory for their candidates, with supporters in each camp celebrating their supposed win.
[Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm. This article originally appeared in Egypt Independent.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“In the United States, settler colonialism has been so complete, and so successful, that the world has forgotten that South Africa, Australia and Israel are all reproductions, all approximations of the ongoing victory back home.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey