From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Sunday night of every week.]
"Algeria: Twitter Protest Against the State of Education" - Over four hours of cyber protests against the absurdly interminable tenure of Education minister Benbouzid and his ineffective policies.
"Long Delays Tainting Terrorism Trials - Courts' Refusal to Hear Key Witness Violates Due Process" - Human Rights Watch criticizes unnecessary detention and trial practices.
"Journalist Given Two-Month Sentence For Defamation In Algeria" - Imprisonment of Journalist Manseur Si Mohamed for criticizing the court system demonstrates the meretriciousness of reformed media laws.
"Welcome to Ain Zara: Life inside one of Libya’s most notorious prisons" - Despite relatively decent conditions, management of the facility and the general indefinite detainment of prisoners reveals the NTC's inability to centralize authority.
“اتهام بالكولسة وشراء الأصوات" - Analysis of prospects for free-media development and its potential roll in elections.
“البدري الشريف المناعي : استراحة ناخب ” - Criticism of the NTC”s administrative inefficiency and legitimacy.
"Mauritania: Security Forces Break Up March, Arrest Activists" - After an initial suppressed protest, opposition members stage another demonstration in solidarity with the arrested activists.
"Differences rock salafist current in Mauritania" - Analysis of the political heterogeneity of Mauritanian Salafists
"On Morocco’s Supposed Democratic Reforms" - Criticism of the state's limited tolerance of speech and expression.
"Morocco: Western Sahara - Realpolitik to the Rescue of Colonization" - UN and major world-power opinions on "resolving" the conflict works to legitimize the abuser's dominance.
"حتى نفهم ما يجري في دوار الشليحات" - Security forces violently suppress farmers’ peaceful demonstration against the exploitation of their fields.
"A Symbol Kind of Monarch" - The shifting and limited legitimacy of the King's 'traditional/religious' authority.
"Moroccan youth suffer 'growing pains', survey says" - Economic and employment deficiencies force many Moroccans to delay marriage and rely protractedly on their parents' income.
"After Ben-Ali's conviction: the state of Tunisian justice" - Absence of 'command responsibility' and conflicting military and civilian jurisdiction produce hurtles for Ben-Ali era justice.
"بيان : ثورتنا ليست إشاعة – تونس" - Reflections on the sustained and varied demands of the revolution, including the need to procure the judiciary’s accountability.
“Tunisie : Et si on pensait plus au tourisme alternative?” - Exploration of the potential for ‘alternative tourism' that is both environmentally conscience and sincere to local residents.
Recent Jadaliyya articles on the Maghreb
Ahl al-Kahf: Graffiti (In both Arabic and English)
Majidi Business : Cas d'école
قضاة تونس: تعددية للهياكل ووحدة في البرامج
Salafi Trouble in Tunisia's Transition
When Protector Turned Killer
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Iraqi Odyssey in NYC
- دمشق 2013
- الهوامش التي نعيش فيها
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 24)
- A Moveable Feast? Reflections on the French Coverage of the Paris Attacks
- Palestine Media Roundup (November 19 - 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 16-22)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 26)
- The Diaspora, Debt, and Dollarization: Unraveling Lebanon’s Resilience to a Sovereign Debt Crisis
- في العلاقة الشائكة بين التاريخ والتطرّف
- New Texts Out Now: Safinaz El Tarouty, Businessmen, Clientelism, and Authoritarianism in Egypt
- Anthropologists Speak Out for Justice in Palestine
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.3 is Live! Celebrating Our One-Year Anniversary
- يكفيني أن ألمس ورقة خضراء حتى أرى
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 23)
- عصفورية إلى الأبد
- Affirming the Rights of Students to Organize, Protest, and Resist (City University of New York)
- Terror Everywhere, Humanity Nowhere
- الجلبي، عبد الرزاق عبد الواحد: سجال ما بعد الديكتاتور
- القصائدُ قرودٌ؛ هكذا كلّ واقعٍ في عين أمّه غزال