From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Sunday night of every week.]
"Algeria: Twitter Protest Against the State of Education" - Over four hours of cyber protests against the absurdly interminable tenure of Education minister Benbouzid and his ineffective policies.
"Long Delays Tainting Terrorism Trials - Courts' Refusal to Hear Key Witness Violates Due Process" - Human Rights Watch criticizes unnecessary detention and trial practices.
"Journalist Given Two-Month Sentence For Defamation In Algeria" - Imprisonment of Journalist Manseur Si Mohamed for criticizing the court system demonstrates the meretriciousness of reformed media laws.
"Welcome to Ain Zara: Life inside one of Libya’s most notorious prisons" - Despite relatively decent conditions, management of the facility and the general indefinite detainment of prisoners reveals the NTC's inability to centralize authority.
“اتهام بالكولسة وشراء الأصوات" - Analysis of prospects for free-media development and its potential roll in elections.
“البدري الشريف المناعي : استراحة ناخب ” - Criticism of the NTC”s administrative inefficiency and legitimacy.
"Mauritania: Security Forces Break Up March, Arrest Activists" - After an initial suppressed protest, opposition members stage another demonstration in solidarity with the arrested activists.
"Differences rock salafist current in Mauritania" - Analysis of the political heterogeneity of Mauritanian Salafists
"On Morocco’s Supposed Democratic Reforms" - Criticism of the state's limited tolerance of speech and expression.
"Morocco: Western Sahara - Realpolitik to the Rescue of Colonization" - UN and major world-power opinions on "resolving" the conflict works to legitimize the abuser's dominance.
"حتى نفهم ما يجري في دوار الشليحات" - Security forces violently suppress farmers’ peaceful demonstration against the exploitation of their fields.
"A Symbol Kind of Monarch" - The shifting and limited legitimacy of the King's 'traditional/religious' authority.
"Moroccan youth suffer 'growing pains', survey says" - Economic and employment deficiencies force many Moroccans to delay marriage and rely protractedly on their parents' income.
"After Ben-Ali's conviction: the state of Tunisian justice" - Absence of 'command responsibility' and conflicting military and civilian jurisdiction produce hurtles for Ben-Ali era justice.
"بيان : ثورتنا ليست إشاعة – تونس" - Reflections on the sustained and varied demands of the revolution, including the need to procure the judiciary’s accountability.
“Tunisie : Et si on pensait plus au tourisme alternative?” - Exploration of the potential for ‘alternative tourism' that is both environmentally conscience and sincere to local residents.
Recent Jadaliyya articles on the Maghreb
Ahl al-Kahf: Graffiti (In both Arabic and English)
Majidi Business : Cas d'école
قضاة تونس: تعددية للهياكل ووحدة في البرامج
Salafi Trouble in Tunisia's Transition
When Protector Turned Killer
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Reporter Jon Snow on Gaza's Children: Misery and Responsibility
- The Informants: Manufacturing Terror
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 26)
- عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story http://t.co/kEHo0NzxJ5
yesterday at 10:25 AM
The Informants: Manufacturing Terror http://t.co/AXY0FGKVRh
yesterday at 9:47 AM
Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video) http://t.co/uIm7t77jEm
yesterday at 9:47 AM
عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها http://t.co/XenCubKnq1
yesterday at 9:46 AM
Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked http://t.co/IuZHBgf5zc
yesterday at 9:45 AM