From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night of every week.]
"Algeria: Twitter Protest Against the State of Education" - Over four hours of cyber protests against the absurdly interminable tenure of Education minister Benbouzid and his ineffective policies.
"Long Delays Tainting Terrorism Trials - Courts' Refusal to Hear Key Witness Violates Due Process" - Human Rights Watch criticizes unnecessary detention and trial practices.
"Journalist Given Two-Month Sentence For Defamation In Algeria" - Imprisonment of Journalist Manseur Si Mohamed for criticizing the court system demonstrates the meretriciousness of reformed media laws.
"Welcome to Ain Zara: Life inside one of Libya’s most notorious prisons" - Despite relatively decent conditions, management of the facility and the general indefinite detainment of prisoners reveals the NTC's inability to centralize authority.
“اتهام بالكولسة وشراء الأصوات" - Analysis of prospects for free-media development and its potential roll in elections.
“البدري الشريف المناعي : استراحة ناخب ” - Criticism of the NTC”s administrative inefficiency and legitimacy.
"Mauritania: Security Forces Break Up March, Arrest Activists" - After an initial suppressed protest, opposition members stage another demonstration in solidarity with the arrested activists.
"Differences rock salafist current in Mauritania" - Analysis of the political heterogeneity of Mauritanian Salafists
"On Morocco’s Supposed Democratic Reforms" - Criticism of the state's limited tolerance of speech and expression.
"Morocco: Western Sahara - Realpolitik to the Rescue of Colonization" - UN and major world-power opinions on "resolving" the conflict works to legitimize the abuser's dominance.
"حتى نفهم ما يجري في دوار الشليحات" - Security forces violently suppress farmers’ peaceful demonstration against the exploitation of their fields.
"A Symbol Kind of Monarch" - The shifting and limited legitimacy of the King's 'traditional/religious' authority.
"Moroccan youth suffer 'growing pains', survey says" - Economic and employment deficiencies force many Moroccans to delay marriage and rely protractedly on their parents' income.
"After Ben-Ali's conviction: the state of Tunisian justice" - Absence of 'command responsibility' and conflicting military and civilian jurisdiction produce hurtles for Ben-Ali era justice.
"بيان : ثورتنا ليست إشاعة – تونس" - Reflections on the sustained and varied demands of the revolution, including the need to procure the judiciary’s accountability.
“Tunisie : Et si on pensait plus au tourisme alternative?” - Exploration of the potential for ‘alternative tourism' that is both environmentally conscience and sincere to local residents.
Recent Jadaliyya articles on the Maghreb
Ahl al-Kahf: Graffiti (In both Arabic and English)
Majidi Business : Cas d'école
قضاة تونس: تعددية للهياكل ووحدة في البرامج
Salafi Trouble in Tunisia's Transition
When Protector Turned Killer
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The overarching concern of the UK-led NATO roadmap is to avoid a repetition in Libya of the catastrophic US-led handling of the situation in post-invasion Iraq.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 17-23)
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interview by France24 on Gaza Disengagement and Its Aftermath