From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Sunday night of every week.]
"Algeria: Twitter Protest Against the State of Education" - Over four hours of cyber protests against the absurdly interminable tenure of Education minister Benbouzid and his ineffective policies.
"Long Delays Tainting Terrorism Trials - Courts' Refusal to Hear Key Witness Violates Due Process" - Human Rights Watch criticizes unnecessary detention and trial practices.
"Journalist Given Two-Month Sentence For Defamation In Algeria" - Imprisonment of Journalist Manseur Si Mohamed for criticizing the court system demonstrates the meretriciousness of reformed media laws.
"Welcome to Ain Zara: Life inside one of Libya’s most notorious prisons" - Despite relatively decent conditions, management of the facility and the general indefinite detainment of prisoners reveals the NTC's inability to centralize authority.
“اتهام بالكولسة وشراء الأصوات" - Analysis of prospects for free-media development and its potential roll in elections.
“البدري الشريف المناعي : استراحة ناخب ” - Criticism of the NTC”s administrative inefficiency and legitimacy.
"Mauritania: Security Forces Break Up March, Arrest Activists" - After an initial suppressed protest, opposition members stage another demonstration in solidarity with the arrested activists.
"Differences rock salafist current in Mauritania" - Analysis of the political heterogeneity of Mauritanian Salafists
"On Morocco’s Supposed Democratic Reforms" - Criticism of the state's limited tolerance of speech and expression.
"Morocco: Western Sahara - Realpolitik to the Rescue of Colonization" - UN and major world-power opinions on "resolving" the conflict works to legitimize the abuser's dominance.
"حتى نفهم ما يجري في دوار الشليحات" - Security forces violently suppress farmers’ peaceful demonstration against the exploitation of their fields.
"A Symbol Kind of Monarch" - The shifting and limited legitimacy of the King's 'traditional/religious' authority.
"Moroccan youth suffer 'growing pains', survey says" - Economic and employment deficiencies force many Moroccans to delay marriage and rely protractedly on their parents' income.
"After Ben-Ali's conviction: the state of Tunisian justice" - Absence of 'command responsibility' and conflicting military and civilian jurisdiction produce hurtles for Ben-Ali era justice.
"بيان : ثورتنا ليست إشاعة – تونس" - Reflections on the sustained and varied demands of the revolution, including the need to procure the judiciary’s accountability.
“Tunisie : Et si on pensait plus au tourisme alternative?” - Exploration of the potential for ‘alternative tourism' that is both environmentally conscience and sincere to local residents.
Recent Jadaliyya articles on the Maghreb
Ahl al-Kahf: Graffiti (In both Arabic and English)
Majidi Business : Cas d'école
قضاة تونس: تعددية للهياكل ووحدة في البرامج
Salafi Trouble in Tunisia's Transition
When Protector Turned Killer
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"It is remarkable that the critical link between Islamic art and Modernism would emerge from an art scene that has convinced itself of its “cosmopolitan” nature with endless attempts to gain distance from regional markers, historic or otherwise."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Dozens to Bike from Philadelphia to Washington, DC to Raise Funds for Medical Relief for Gaza’s Children
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 12)
- The Question of Judeo/Arabic(s): Itineraries of Belonging [Lecture at GMU]
- Syria Media Roundup (September 13)
- Announcing the New Issue of Middle East Report -- Fuel and Water: The Coming Crises
- The University of Illinois Board of Trustees Votes against Reinstating Professor Salaita
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
فواز طرابلسي: حروب الردة أو غتيال المستقبل http://t.co/PqaUQW5Hrc
yesterday at 7:16 AM
LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discusion (18 September 2014, UCLA) http://t.co/jPt6USfWSE
yesterday at 7:15 AM
Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine's Tragic Collaborators http://t.co/UNSvNBsD8K
yesterday at 4:57 AM
Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi http://t.co/mcOQIl91Lv
yesterday at 4:17 PM
Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale http://t.co/HifHGRiWOP
on Wednesday 17 September at 06:33 AM